Thru Hull Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Thru Hull Questions

Post by TW28RJ »

Proprietary blend of polymers = long chain polymer "Comon guys"..and here is homework assignment, read up on crevis corrosion and ss, monel too. For the gentleman that can't tell the difference between 304 and 316.. You need help. And you imply to the people that dont know that there isn't a difference.

I can quote numerous books on corrosion in the marine environment, articles in Boat builder, people like Bruce Pfund, Steve D'Antonio, the list goes on. I don't post on here because I have nothing else to do. I only post when I feel I can help someone. I also post in the hope that someone will look outside of this forum to learn something. When I here someone talking about stainless steel through hulls i know that eventualy they will end up with crevis corrosion so I post - And a plastic through hull, they become brittle as time goes on.. for a small boat maybe it doesn't matter if you 75 miles offshore it might.

There are people out that here that have an open mind and want to hear different opinions. I find it a dis-service when the same frequent posters with half truths dominate the list and squash every bit of common sense they can find. I once posted a a formula for dertermining the ahead tourque on the rudder for the tw28...One of the frequent posters rediculed it, strangely enough when I looked at his posts I found the only thing he built was one of the rowboats.. Why the need to come off like an expert.

Ever wonder why you don't hear more from the builders of the bigger boats?

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

TW28RJ wrote:Proprietary blend of polymers = long chain polymer "Comon guys"..

Ever wonder why you don't hear more from the builders of the bigger boats?
by jacquesmm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

TomW wrote:
Marelon . . . It is the only fitting that I know of that is equal to bronze and is recommended for below the waterline and Marelon through hulls are also recommended for below the waterline use unlike some other plastic fittings.

I would go one step further and say that Marelon is superior to bronze.Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com
jacquesmm
Yep when he argues with the boats designer! :D

Seth also did not say he did not know the difference between 304 and 316 SS he said they noticed little difference in the use of the two, you need to read closer. A lot of this going around lately must be winter. :?

Shine let's whip the dead horse!!!!
Last edited by TomW on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

For the gentleman that can't tell the difference between 304 and 316.. You need help. And you imply to the people that dont know that there isn't a difference.
I never said that there wasn't a difference, or that one material is better than the other. For the record, I do believe that 316 is more corrosion resistant than 304. Of course, my last post was based on my experience (which is non-disputable) working with these metals on a nearly daily basis in highly corrosive environments.
When I here someone talking about stainless steel through hulls i know that eventualy they will end up with crevis corrosion
So what you're saying is that SST in saltwater will react just like other metals? There is a potential for crevis corrosion on nearly every type of metal in a marine environment.
strangely enough when I looked at his posts...
That must have taken some time.

Well we can't use SST thru-hulls because we they will corrode. We can't use plastic ones because they'll get brittle and break. Joel knows of a yacht that sank due to a bronze thru-hull. Brass is out too. What now shall we use?
Hopefully, this is my last post on this thread
This time I mean it. I'm not intending to cause a stir, but rather post how I see it and how I've experienced it. If my experience was otherwise, I'd say so. If my experience was not sufficient enough to make a productive statement, then I wouldn't :!:

seth
Last edited by majorgator on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Tom beat me too it...again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

TW28RJ wrote:... One of the frequent posters rediculed it, strangely enough when I looked at his posts I found the only thing he built was one of the rowboats..
TW... how large a boat do I need to complete before I'm allowed to post an opinion on this board, re things that may come up here that are not directly related to building any particular boat? I would appreciate any guidence you care to offer. Perhaps you could format your reply as follows:

If you have completed a small row boat, you may post opinions re _________________________________.
If you have completed a small power boat (tiller), you may post opinions re ______________________________.
If you have completed 16-20 foot power boat (center console) ....

I'll let you complete the above list.
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

woodboat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by woodboat »

I need a thru hull and I am thinking about hollowing out a piece of wood to avoid all these corrosion issues. It should work well on my boat

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's a flat's boat! :lol:
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ »

iIm thinking for you three guys it probably needs to be based on how many teeth you have.. more then two (in front) you can post, less forget it. Then again (for you three) we could base it on how many appliances you have out on the front porch! More than 5 you can post..

This is a forum about boat building not a cult, or then again is it??

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

TW28RJ wrote:iIm thinking for you three guys it probably needs to be based on how many teeth you have.. more then two (in front) you can post, less forget it. Then again (for you three) we could base it on how many appliances you have out on the front porch! More than 5 you can post...
Very clever, well thought out, intelligent and informative post TW. How much time did you spend developing it? Will your next be to tell some of us that our mothers wear combat boots?
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Ever wonder why we dont specify electrical drawings (other than the super basics ) :D
Well we can't use SST thru-hulls because we they will corrode. We can't use plastic ones because they'll get brittle and break. Joel knows of a yacht that sank due to a bronze thru-hull. Brass is out too. What now shall we use?
What happens if I pour sea foam over my 304 stainless thru hull?