Page 1 of 1

Questions regarding bottom panel for GF16

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:51 pm
by Royce
Flipped my boat this weekend and had a couple of questions about the bottom panel. The first is regarding the length of the panel. When I lay it on top of the flipped boat and lined it up on the transom, the panel is about 6" too long. Is this normal? I remeasured the panel and it matches the plans.

Second question is regarding the alignment of the various frames. Once I flipped the boat I could see that the frames did not all line up exactly with the bottom of the side panels. Obviously if a frame is higher than the side, I should lower it before stitching and gluing the bottom. But what if it is lower than the side panel? Should it be raised?

Keep in mind that once the bottom is on I intend to brace the hull so that it retains its shape ,remove the frames, and fiberglass the entire interior of the boat with one single piece of cloth. The plans call for you to tape the frames in and then fiberglass each section of the boat so this is different but has been done on other boats.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Questions regarding bottom panel for GF16

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm
by tech_support
I do not understand the bottom being longer, Jacques will need to comment. If the sides are right, then I would trim to fit, but lets be sure the sides are right first :wink:

For the frames, they should be flush with the bottom, if they stick out they will deform the bottom. Do you the frames stick out on both the top and bottom? This might have something to do the that bottom panel being too long, have you doubel checked the length of the sides?

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 pm
by Royce
Well, I think I just created the first GF 15.5. It looks like the forward portion of the side panel is about 6" too short. I'm not quite sure how it happened. When I measured for the side panels, I butted the two pieces of plywood together and I must have measured wrong. :doh:

On the bright side, it looks like I took the 6" out in the middle of the boat as the side panel looks proportional as it slopes toward the bow. The height of the sides looks correct - its just that the first measurement line on the forward panel is at 6" from the end of the piece of plywood instead of 12". :oops:

I cut both sides together - so both sides are the same.

I will wait for Jacques to respond, but it doesn't look like a serious mistake to me. I think I'll just trim the forward portion of the floor panel and go with that - unless someone says differently.

Nothing but a thang! Keep on buildin' :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 pm
by gstanfield
Sweet! Keeping it under 16ft will really help out with those regulations that apply to all watercraft 16ft and over :lol:

Sorry to laugh at your mishap, but worse things have happened and I'm sure you'll never know the difference 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:23 pm
by Royce
That's what I'm thinking George! The boat has a lot of room in the front section between the casting deck and seat, so cutting 6" from that space won't matter too much (I think). Just got rid of the "throwable PFD". Too bad I was planning on using two of them for seat cushions.

It's really just a stretched GF 14. I can stretch that boat 10% right :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 pm
by TomW
Yep! :lol: :lol: