ph16 / gv 15 or ??

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

ph16 / gv 15 or ??

Post by deuce_454 »

ok ive completed a garvey 14 jon boat and just love the result, in retrospect i would propably use 9mm ply for bottom planking if i were to build another

but the next project si a boat to replace a 14 foot vator runabout thats come to the end of ots service life.. its use is to pull skiers and short trips, usually with 2 adults and one child.. the engine is a 70 hp 2 stroke merc

i have plans for both a ph16 and a gv15.. but if acceleration, speed, flat wake and fuel economy are main targets i think that forsaking sexy and cool (ph16) and building a gv15 with pu-foam filled sole and strakes would be the ticket...

bench seat and 2 consoles

any inputs or perhaps another suggestion? like stretching the gv15 10% to 16.5 feet??

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ph16 / gv 15 or ??

Post by wegcagle »

Im currently building the gv15 center console. If you want to put a 70hp and Pull skiers I would recommend trading in the plans for the gv17 or ob17. I think they would be better ski boats. I am planning on a 50/60hp (max suggested) for my gv15, but the boat is too light to routinely pull skiers(IMHO). If I ever get done Ill post some performance numbers. Good luck on your decision.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

I would def. go with the GV over Phantom for skeeing. How the heck do you spell skeing?If its the only thing you are going to use it for then I would consider one of the OB's. From what I have done in the past is trade in the plans you now have for one of these. I have traded plans before as long as they are complete and still in original package and not damaged or marked up.Check with Joel on this.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

the ob17 looks very very interesting also.... and a bit more safe with kids onboard compared to a gv15 with a 70 hp which should hit 45-50 miles with the right prop (and since its not a constant deadrise "monohydron" design it might get alittle scary at that speed)...

And since im not trying to kill myself the OB 17 seems like the mature choice

outfitting it like an arkip 460 should work perfect, it even looks like its a fine fishing boat also

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

another vote for GV over the PH. PH would require some serious strakes in order to take those turns. A good skier would pull the back end of a phantom all over the place :)

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

Just orderet a set of plans for the ob17 to make an informed desicion