OB 15

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB 15

Post by gstanfield »

It's been a while, any progress on the boat or the bearcat?
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

DEJA VU! I was going to post tonight or tomorrow. My first welding class started today at Cerritos College in Ca. I ordered some of the parts I need for the outboard, and I will take a picture and post, probably tomorrow. Man, am I glad the holidays are over. I haven't worked on the project much, for a while. The mounting plate needs some work and some of the structural parts don't match, kind of hodge-podged. Anyway, I finally signed up for welding and would like to know if anyone knows of any plans for a trailer for the OB 15? Trailerparts.com has all the parts I need and, of course, I will make the trailer. If not, I guess I can design my own. I plan to have the project finished by the end of summer. Thanks for the inquiry, George. I'll post soon.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Cool, glad to hear you are doing well :D

ZaxGr
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ZaxGr »

would like to know if anyone knows of any plans for a trailer for the OB 15?
Have you see this
http://www.boatdesigns.com/Boat-Trailer ... ducts/529/

I am really looking forward to following your OB 15 build. This will probably be my next boat building project, as soon as I finish the CV 16 that is.
Keep up the good work. :lol:
CV16
Building It, is Half the Fun...
Link: Greek CV 16 Construction Pictures
Click Here to Email Me Directly

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I had my welding tests today. I got a hundred on both! 6013 rod and 7018 rod. Monday we start oxyacetalene torch cutting. I'm pretty much ready to start building my trailer. By the way, thanks for the info on the trailer. As far as the outboard is concerned, I ran into a small problem with the large mounting back plate, but nothing I can't handle. I'm starting up again on my boat project full time, now that the holidays are over. I'm going to build the trailer first, then the boat. I'll have new pictures tomorrow. All the trailer parts I'm getting, are from trailerparts.com. Thanks again, guys. :D

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Glad to hear you did well on your tests, CONGRATS! 7018 is fun stuff to burn in my opinion. There was a time when I woudl go through a couple hundred pounds of rod every day burning 1/4" 7018 for hours at a time. As much as I enjoy welding I don't miss those days :lol:

When you get back on the project be sure to keep us up to date with plenty of pics :wink:

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

I have some OLD 6011's, if you can burn them then you can do anything. :D 8O :wink:

Don

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I finally got the picture the right size. I worked in the shop today drilling out that frozen bolt. I'll drill a clean 1" hole then plug it with an aluminum plug. Redrill and tap and it's just like new. These are the mount plate shocks. I've been trying to get ahold of my parts supplier, but, I guess he's busy. I'm at a point where I can begin to start my trailer. This is unbelievably exciting for me. I'm going to leave the trailer without the wheels so I can store it flat. I don't have alot of room in my garage.
A couple of hundred pounds of welding rods a day?! That's some serious welding!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

That will be an easy fix for someone with welding skills. :wink:
...A couple of hundred pounds of welding rods a day?! That's some serious welding!
It was some serious welding, but nothing hard. I worked as a machinest rebuilding oilfield equipment, primarily heavery blowout preventer valves like these:

Before I could machine the sealing surfaces they had to be built up with weld and if we were short handed on welders I did my own welding to save time. It really sucked as the body had to be preheated to 500F and you'd burn 1/4" rods stopping only to chip slag and wire wheel before the next pass. Any pinholes would ruin my final product and it would have to be rewelded and machined again! It's easy to go through a couple hundred pounds when you're burning 1/4 and 5/16 rods for 10-12 horus straight!

That's enough abotu my old job, I'm just happy to see you back to work on this boat :D

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I had a little time before the wife gets home, so, I went back to the garage and finished this part of the project. I needed a hole a little larger than 3/4". I had a 19mm and that worked perfect. I will score the sides of the plug and set it in with liquid steel. I can even put in a set screw on the bottom. I have to make sure that the new hole is lined up perfect with the seat on the opposite side. I did not use a hole saw. First, I drilled a hole thru 1/2" ply. I clamped that to the workpiece to hold the bit steady. No pilot bit needed.