OB 15

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB 15

Post by AtTheBrink »

Awesome! How did she run? Purr like a happy kitten? Looking forward to.seeing your boat build. With your attention to detail it is going to be a nice one!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

If you've ever built a motor from scratch, you know what it's like when she first starts up. Yes, it's a happy kitty. Very, very smooth. You can imagine how I felt when she fired up. I was discussing more space with my wife today for the boat. Can we afford one more garage. I'm gonna check my finances and if it's possible, yes. I'm gonna check first, if anyone I know has some space for me at their house or has some extra space for rent. It was really and endeavor. Every nut and bolt was removed off this motor and put back together. When I get the primer bulb, I'll make plans to post a video.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Congratulations!

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I tried to get a video from my camera, but, the format disc is not set right. So, my wife suggested my video phone. So, here it is, a video of my outboard. Not the best, but, when I figure out how to format my camera disc, I'll take a better video.
Coming to a theater near you.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

It's alive! Nice job! 8)

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

Here we go, again! Someone mentioned my name and recommended that I rebuild his Bearcat motor. He brought it buy last week and I'm starting to assess the damage. It overheated. At cranking speed, the oil pressure is barely 5 lbs. I'm gonna take the motor out, remove the oil pan and crank and check the condition of the pistons and block. Remember, Bearcats don't have cylinder heads. If the block is good, Ill use it for the re-build. The owner wants a high performance block. The only thing I know that comes close to a bearcat is OMC. A lot of the bearings for this motor, I got from Monarch. They were identical. Pistons, rings and cam, not sure about that one.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Dang Craig! You srarted your own cottage industry! How's the boat coming?
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

Actually, this outboard overheated due to a worn impeller. Coupled with the issue of poor assembly practices. The owner wants a high performance motor. Looking for parts is not going to be easy.. Any way, as you boaters know, depending on usage, you should replace your impeller(water pump) yearly. Keep your boat well tuned and your outboard will keep you going.
With these motors, the water jacket supply tubes are close to other units(starter). Some mechanics will pry the water tube out of the way to get the starter bolt threads started. Bad idea.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

Hey, people. I'm back. I got an e-mail from G, and wanted to know what was going on. After going back and forth with Miles, the owner of the boat on how he wanted to build the engine, he sold the boat. The new owner wasn't sure he wanted a motor that old. Miles explained to him the advantage of owning a Bearcat. After breaking down the motor, completely, It's still sitting in the garage. I was offered 3 grand for the one I just built, but, turned it down. I might buy this one if the price is right and build this one up. I should have taken a picture of the boat, a 1963 Thompson. It was completely restored. I'm gonna be in the garage today, so, I'll take more photos of the motor. It's interesting. They call it a "blind cylinder motor". No head.
During that time, I reactivated my contractors license and have been doing some remodels to pay for all these hobbies that I have.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Best of luck with your renewed endevours in contracting, hopefully it pays off big and you can get back to building 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)