OB 15

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB 15

Post by CraigLam »

I got a real good bite on the motor today. I replaced the water jackets and installed the exhaust manifold. I repainted the starter and some of the electrical parts. I plan to start the motor up by the end of May, hopefully sooner.
If you look at the top where the plastic elbow meets the water jacket tube, that's where the water goes just before it comes out the the lower end of the motor. Hopefully tomorrow, the motor will look a little more complete. Actually, to start this, all I need now is a fuel pump and a gas tank.

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Looks good...it will be brand new when you are finished with it!! 8)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I've started to work on the outboard for the past couple of days. I mentioned before that this motor was really hacked together. It's taken a lot of time to get this motor restored, but, surely worth it. I haven't installed the battery wires yet. I'm not sure where the battery will be located on my OB 15. There is a junction block located on the motor pan right behind the thru grommet. That leads up to the remote. So, I don't have to worry how long to make the wires.
I think I'll leave the oil pan blue. I like two toned.
By the way, My Rustoleum paint came in. Next week I'll repaint the whole outboard. Then I'll install the motor. It's getting close to being finished!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wish I could do that 8) If I tore that engine down like that it would never run again :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

LOL! Larry, it's not that hard. If you keep good notes, it's helps for e-assembly.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I worked on the outboard today. Got the carbs mounted. Once I get the oil press., temp switch and flywheel assembly, I'm gonna repaint the leg unit. Then the motor's goin' in!. I still need a few o-rings and gaskets, but, it's almost there.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Looks good Craig, when are you gonna fire it up so we can see how she runs?
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I was writing down all the parts I need for completion. A few O rings, some gaskets, a fuel pump, and she's ready to go. I hope by the end of May, I'll be able to start her up. I even have the remote! It's complete, too. I just need to run the wires to it. I don't need the the drive cable just the throttle cable and I have that one.
What's next? Finally the boat! I'm going to mail away for the plans and then start. The outboard will be in storage. I'm even making my own trailer.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I called a place that specializes in Bearcat parts. The guy has not returned my call - in 4 days! So, I got a hold of a lady that specializes in antique outboards in MD, an she has what I need. She has a few of the motors that don't run and she's parting them out. I'm gonna get in touch with her Monday. As soon as I get the fuel pump, I'm gonna start her up!!! You can see why I'm a little antsy.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

After all these months, I'm nearing the end. I had to scrap the original coil. Seems that request came from the experts at the Bearcat warehouse. The resistor wire it's supposed to use, does not generate enough juice. So I got a new one. A GM with internal resistor. Everything checks out perfect. The timing marks, cam position, etc. I have to assemble motor hoist to lift her back into the leg unit. Just so happens that the hose bib is directly behind my garage. I can drill a hole and pass the hose thru without going around all the other garages. I still have to do more connections and install the wire looms. Realistically, I would say about Wednesday of next week or sooner.
Meanwhile, I'm gonna learn how to use the video setting on my camera for the big day.