OB 15

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB 15

Post by gstanfield »

She's looking sexy Craig, nice work :!:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

This is how far I've gotten so far. I'll start working on the motor now.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

Grrrrrrrrrr! I'm at my witts end. As you know, I got my welding certificate. Now, finding a welder is another story. I already have a buzz box, but, no place to run it. It needs a minimum of 50 amps to run it. I would like to weld mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum. However, the only migs that will do that are one that run on 220.

There is a welder that is made by craftsman, a 304 FI. I claims to weld steel, stainless steel, and aluminum and runs off 120V. The duty cycle is 40% @60amps. That's not bad for a 120V welder. It only $400. It only has a 1 year warranty. Another solution is to buy a generator that puts out 50 amps and 9500 watts which would run my buzz box and then I can weld anything. That's about $1,000. If anyone has this craftsman welder 304 FI or knows anything about it, please let me know. If not, I may have to get a cheap mig or save up to get a big generator. :doh:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

The y cost a little more, but if you go with something that uses inverter technology then you expand your options quite a bit. I've ran several Miller inverter welders that could be plugged into 120V, 240V, even 3 phase and they still work! It's amazing at the technology of the inverter boxes and how quiet they are :!:

If you're up for a TIG then one of the best deals going is the Eastwood 200 TIG. You can weld pretty much anything with it, it cost less than a grand which is cheap for what you are getting and it will run off of 15amp 120V household or a 30 amp 240 plug as well!

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eas ... elder.html

The specs on it:
Eastwood-engineered 200-amp TIG Welder offers affordable, professional-quality TIG welding on aluminum, stainless or steel (sheet, tube or bar stock), and precise welding of thinner-gauge materials up to 1/4" thick.

•Operates on either 110vAC, 15-amp circuit or 220vAC, 30-amp circuit
•1/4"-thick welding capacity
•High-frequency start for precise arc control
•Square-wave inverter for accurate aluminum welding
•"WP-17"-type torch accepts common cups and collets, up to 1/8" electrodes
•Duty cycle: 45% at 150 amps
I sold my TIG and I regret it, but when I get some extra cash I'll have one of these in my shop sitting beside my Lincoln MIG and my Miller SMAW welder. 8)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Criagslist is another good source for used equipment, but you seem to have a bigger issue with electrical current than equipment really. Does you house have an electric dryer? If so you have access to probably 30 AMP 240 current :wink:

Another thought, if you do find that you can get a decent 240V source at your house, Eastwood also carries a very nice 175 MIG for a great price.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175 ... l-gun.html

Don't take it wrong here, I'm not a sale rep fro Eastwood I promise! I've just been impressed with their branded products and their customer support is top notch! I once had a gallon of epoxy primer arrive at my shop with about a tablespoon leaked out and running down the side. I called to tell them just to let them know that thye need to step up their packaging a bit. They insisted on sending me another gallon and have me keep that gallon for my troubles. I refused to take it as I was not out a gallon nor was I trying to profit from a simple packaging error. In the end I agreed to take a QT of primer to make them happy!

Anyway, I've used their welders and they are good products and I'd not hesitate to run one myself.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

I can't belive the response. Thanks to all! I actually have talked to the reps at Eastwood, Hobart, and Lincoln. By the way, I don't have 220V. I live in an apartment. My wife's uncle has 220V, but, that ain't gonna happen. I'm pretty much stuck with 120V. The reps at Eastwood were very helpfull. They were honest and told me that the mig 135 will not weld SS and Al. But, the mig 175 will. My decision-tomorrow, I'm going to the Sears repair center, two blocks away, and talk to the reps there and see who makes the Craftsman 304FI. If it's Century, then yes, I'll probably get one. If not, then I'll probably get a cheap mig temporarily, then get a 50 amp 9500 watt generator for my buzz box. That will weld anything. Tig welding? I know tig is great, but, you still need 220V for a good tig weld. Craigslist and ebay is an option. I did see some stuff there at a good price that had a good guarantee. When I get back from Sears, I'll post in and let everyone know what I've found.

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a welder that runs on 220 volts. I have used the 130 amp 110v. ,the 175amp 220v. and the 200 amp 220v.. The 175 will work ok on steel up to about quarter inch. . The 200 will weld up to a half in. The 130 struggles past eighth in. The 110 v. models are suited for hobby welding light sheet metal. I tend to favor either Lincoln or Miller brands that are sold at your local welding shop. If your are thinking about building a trailer, get a welder that will weld with .030 wire.

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

After spending literally 3 days on the web reading welder reviews, I've decided on the Thermal Arc 161s. It runs on both 115V and 230V. Since I don't have 230V in my garage or anywhere else, the 161s goes up to 110 amps on 115V and 160 amps on 230V. It's an inverter welder, but, the best one I've seen. About $600. There is also a 95s which only puts out 80-90 amps. I'm gonna go thru Paypal, so I should git it about 2 weeks. Also the 161s comes with a 3 year waranty. The 95s, only 1 year.
It's also set up to tig weld!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

That should work good, you're going to love the inverter technology!

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

Here's what it looks like. The stinger and ground clamp are exceptional. There is a conversion plug to switch from 115V to 230V and it also tig welds. I'll have it in about 2 weeks then I can start my trailer.