recessed/flush mount trim tabs?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: recessed/flush mount trim tabs?

Post by tech_support »

I may use those QL blade trim tabs for the Seacraft, there just is not enough room for traditional actuators under my swim platform. Only problem I see (for the SC project) is that the cables have to run straight through the transom, and in that place where I would mount those tabs, its all foam filled and closed off :|

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

And if you want you can recess those Volvo tabs too :wink:

You can see the recessed area where the QL tabs will be going on this boat
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

shine wrote:I may use those QL blade trim tabs for the Seacraft, there just is not enough room for traditional actuators under my swim platform. Only problem I see (for the SC project) is that the cables have to run straight through the transom, and in that place where I would mount those tabs, its all foam filled and closed off :|
Laminate on some pads to attach the tabs too. Have a channel on the backside of the pad so the you route the cable up the transom and through were there is no foam.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Steven wrote: Laminate on some pads to attach the tabs too. Have a channel on the backside of the pad so the you route the cable up the transom and through were there is no foam.
good idea. Have you felt the cables ? if so, are they limber enough tot take a tight turn?

Steven

Post by Steven »

Their adverstised as electric, so I assumed it's just a wire.

http://www.jmsonline.net/ql-by-volvo-18 ... 841716.htm

"Quick and easy installation. The only affect on the hull is a small hole for the electrical connection"

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've been researching them and I wish it was just a wire molded into the actuator unit :? It is actually a large plug that connects to the actuator and it requires a 1 1/4" hole through the transom at each tab 8O There is no way I would install it on my OD18 as the hole would be below the sole. The installation instructions show that you can drill another large angled hole through the sole to intersect the transom hole, but that would be a major PITA to seal it to satisfaction and still be able to service it. And the cable on the port side would end up in my and many others bait well. I'm going to take some measurements tomorrow to make sure it will fit the FS18.

It is a very well documented product 8) Here are the installation instructions http://www.great-water.com/pdf/QL_Manua ... nstall.pdf
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Thanks for posting that, i was just starting down that path myself, saved me some time :)

Just will not work for the SC, darn :cry:

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

And that is why I have the set to offer up to Larry (if they'll work on his FS-18) or the next builder. The hull of my Scout is completely foam filled and there is a false floor in the bilge. I don't even have a very big hatch to work on things down there. I wish I would have researched them a lot more before I dropped the money on them. But my loss may benefit someone else.

I wanted to put a depth finder on the bow of my Scout a few years back. As most probably know, if you don't have separate power wires from the trolling motor you will get feed back on the display. Well there is so much foam in the hull I can't even get a pair of 18 gauge wires up to the bow. I can't even pull any slack in the trolling motor wires as they are foamed in. I wish they would have put a chase tube in. So I went ahead and tapped in to the trolling motor wiring and sure enough I got feed back on the display every time I turned on the motor.

But on a good note, this boat is rock solid. About 5 years ago I was rear ended while stopped at a traffic light. The (most likely) "undocumented worker" was doing about 15-20 mph and he centered the prop hub on his front license plate. It pushed my boat forward on the trailer about 4-6 inches and mangled the winch stand. The only damage to the hull was to pop the gel coat along the seam where the hull and cap meet. On almost all of the boats that Scout builds they do not cover this joint on the transom with a piece of trim, they just finish it with gel coat. Anyway, I'm still using the boat in all kinds of seas without any flex to the transom.

Sorry for the off track rambling.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

And that is why I have the set to offer up to Larry (if they'll work on his FS-18) or the next builder.
I wanted to publicly thank Tim for his generous offer on the tabs, but I've decided not to use them because of the mounting system. Too bad, because they are sure clean on the outside and the price was probably right :D Anywho, just wanted to let yall know they are still available if someone else wants to give them a try. Appreciate it, Tim 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

As Larry stated, these tabs are available to anyone that is interested.

Drop me an email at toubre "at" gt "dot" rr "dot" com if you are interested in buying them and we will work something out.