RB 14 with jet drive build.

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: RB 14 with jet drive build.

Post by Cracker Larry »

Your pictures are 853 X 640 pixels. The file size is good at less than 100K. I re-sized one to 640 X 480 and it displays fine, like this..

You've almost got it :D
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Some of your pics are 1600 X 1200, way too big. The boat is looking great, you are really moving along 8)

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

coryd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by coryd »

yachtzee! I got it! now if I could just figure out how to get my robots to build the boat faster.

coryd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by coryd »

I resized all images and added some commentary. There are some good time saving tips in that album so check it out.

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

I have a question. Not trying to bust your bubble.
Are you going to use an outboard or an inboard engine with jet drive?
If you go on the Jet drive website for outboards they explain what type of hull works the best. In your case it is basically a rounded bottom to stern. For a jet drive to be more efficient the hull needs to be flat on the last at least 6 ft. of the hull bottom. Even the big inboard jet units you see, (The Go Fast style ) have flat bottoms and a minumum of at least 6 ft. wideThis is why you see most jet drives on aluminum jon style boats. A rounded hull will not let the jet perform as designed. I am afraid you will get a lot of cavitation with the hull design you have. Just my opinion and some experience with jet drives. Just don't want you to be discouraged. I would def. read up o it if you haven't already done so. Hull looks great. Hope you are not dissapointed on the outcome. :? :)
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Ken:
Just started a build on an RB 14. Wanted to get some opinions on some of my mods. first as the title states it will be powered by a Yamaha 650 jetski engine and pump. The pump is its own unit and not part of the hull like alot of the others and it has reverse.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

I just took a tour of your photo gallery. Very nice work. I'm just sorry you don't have much room to work in. :P Oh, sorry my shop envy is showing itself again. :oops:

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

I have a Zodiac with the same engine/pump as you are using. The hull has more "V" than yours but flattens off just before the intake grate. The 12 in. flat starts about 2 feet in front of the grate and continues to the rear of the boat. A stuffer grate would help as long as the water was not aerated. I just wanted to give you a heads up before you did a lot of work on the bottom. Its looking good. :D :idea:

coryd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by coryd »

Thanks for the comments. I too have taken the v hull thing into consideration and my solution is two fold. first I will be adding dual shalow keels like the single keel that is required in the original configuration to form a tunnel of sorts and also a stuffer grate. My thinking is that the deadrise in this hull is so shallow that the dual keels will end up at or below the the hull apex trapping the water stream creating an area of high pressure to aid in feeding the pump. This is just my personal theory weather or not it actualy works will be another story.