FS17 outboard selection...again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 outboard selection...again

Post by Rob Eades »

Wow, I had forgot about the TLDI.That thing looks strong and business-like.I'll take a hard look.

Rob

CraigLam
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CraigLam »

Rob, I haven't posted in awhile, so, I thought I would see what's going on. Wouldn't you know it, an outboard question! It basically depends on what you want. I'm building a Bearcat 55, 4 stroke motor. It was the original 4 stroke to ever come out. Lots of power and an excellent trolling motor. I also want to water ski. For a OB 15, which I'm building, it's rated for a 50 horse. But, a 55 or 60 is not bad. If your just trolling lakes and streams, maybe a 25 hp wouldn't be bad.

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Hi Rob,
I have the TLDI 50 on my FS 17. So far my only real issue has been the prop. 12 pitch seems about right but a 13 might work better.
I will also add that: 1. I have extended sheer, 2. There are 8" wide gunnels that are backed by 3/4" play, 3. this boat is fairly heavy, 750-800lb range.
Does 28-30 on the gps. Still needs tweeking. I picked because of the weight. It is a solid engine.
BF2

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Thanks Bluefish and everybody else.

I'm guilty of doing a lot of forum reading and little building in the last few years.I've been watching the FS17 builds come together all that time.What I've seen is that folks with 25hp are suprised by what the boat will do,and folks with 40-50 hp hem-haw around and and talk about low RPM's and being quick to plane and such,but after all is said and done adding the extra HP gives you way less than 10 extra MPH at WOT.

The FS17 seems to be a boat that squeezes everything out of 25HP.That Tohatsu 50TLDI looks great, but what will it add? I supect I'll do a ETEC 30.This boat has a certain "aesthetic" charm as a low HP work boat and I want all of that I can get.

And yes folks, I'm really building this boat.My wife saw how much 12 sheets of okoume cost. I'd better build a boat!

Rob

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

but after all is said and done adding the extra HP gives you way less than 10 extra MPH at WOT.
In the case of my FS17 the switch from 25 to 40 added about 8 mph to top speed. But as I said before the boat is happiest at the speed that JM designed it for......around 20mph or a bit more in flat water. While the 25 could sustain that speed lightly loaded top speed with 3 aboard and modest fishing gear was more like 18mph. The 40 runs at 18 to 20 knots so 20 -23 mph without working up a sweat and is still able to do this with a much bigger payload. I don't want to have to run flat out to go 20mph or a good deal slower with 3-4 aboard.

When I built my boat I hemmed and hawed, asked JM a question or two and went with an available 25. I'm much happier overall with the 40. IMHO.....find a way to get a 40-50 on the boat. BTW I do have a nice Yamaha 25 in the garage if you insist :) .

Bill

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Bill,

Great summation. If anyone should be able to answer this, you should.

I'm considering this the final word on the subject!

Rob

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

40 HP would have been quite adequate for the FS17, same block and all just controlled differently. Plus carburated versus EFI.
Looked at the price of Etec and said no way. What the 50hp got was the TLDI, and 2000 cheaper.
BF2

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

bluefish,

I'm seeing $4970 for etec 30 remote, $5375 for tldi 40 (tiller), and $6175 for TLDI 50.Where did you get that sort of price advantage on the TLDI 50? :doh:

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

This is kind of an apples to oranges comparison IMHO.

The ETEC 30 (and identical 25 except fort the computer) is a 577cc 2 cylinder vs the Tohatsu 40/50 family which are 697cc 3 cylinder configuration. To be fair you really need to compare the more comparable displacements. The 700cc engines are better able to turn a larger diameter/pitched propeller at a reasonable speed for this boat. That said I do think the ETEC 30 might work out better than the 400cc Yamaha 25 I tried first; with nearly 50% more displacement.

My research led me to believe that most/all of the 40-50's would have run from $5500 to 6500 plus the required dealer rigging or inspection to validate warranty. I was happy to find a nice used Yamaha 40 2 stroke for about $1500....yes, seems high but leaves me $4k for maintenance etc and of course greater fuel cost of old style 2 stroke.

Sure would be nice to be able to try an Etec25/30 wouldn't it.

bill

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Rob
When you're pricing the Tohatsu, don't forget that it comes with the harness, the switch panel, control box and cables for the shifter and throttle. These parts alone add appx. $800 to the cost of rigging most other outboards. When I was shopping the Tohatsu the 50 was about $500 more than the 40 at the same weight, don't know what it cost now but if it's close to that it's a good deal.