HMD19 Motor

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

HMD19 Motor

Post by blueflood »

Thank you for the gas line and tank feedback.

Now for a major purchase; I am close to buying my motor albeit a few years ahead of time but the cost keeps going up so now is time. Where I live, Mercury has the best dealer and service network at marinas so I am going with them for that important reason. Also they market two motors which I am looking at; the 9.9HP Pro Kicker and the 15HP Pro Kicker, both with a 10" four bladed prop, both with the 25" XL shaft. There is a considerable price difference between both however but that is not my main concern.

For the cruising I plan to do, the 9.9HP would be ideal but something in the back of my head is nagging; that is having reserve power available especially when cruising the St. Lawrence river. I know speed will not increase, that is not my issue. Also the 15HP has a larger capacity alternator for the electronics (12amp vs 6amp).

So I am somewhat on the fence as what would be the best option. The design states that a 25HP could be fitted but optimum is the 10-15HP range. I want to go the 15HP road but am I spending money for nothing ? I can cruise at a lower RPM, less noise, less fuel consumption, less wear and tear but more weight. What other benefits or drawbacks ?

Marc

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HMD19 Motor

Post by chicagoross »

I've been ocean cruising for years in mine with a 9.9 Prokicker. I had posted rpms and speeds at one time, you'd have to search. Bottom line, you've maxed speed way before you max RPM with the 9.9; after that you burn more gas, make more noise, and dig a hole in the water for the transom to sink into... In other words you don't need the 15 on this boat. Use the savings for the rest of you outfitting - you'll be amazed at how many other bits and pieces you'll need that you haven't even though of yet!

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Chicago Ross,

And the 9.9 can handle the electrical load ? I remember reading your build in totality and your electronics are pretty well what mine will be; VHF radio, GPS, gauges, AM/FM/CD, nav lights, 12v plug. All internal lights are battery powered LEDs.

Marc

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

VHF = 1 Amp on standby. 5A on transmit but that's a very short term load so you can ignore it.

GPS = assuming small chart plotter? Garmin 4" display = 15 W @ 13.8V so say 1.2A

gauges = almost nothing. I've never seen gauge power mentioned but to move a tiny needle it's gotta be small

stereo = surprisingly lots of amps if you play it loud but not much if it's turned down.

Nav lights = LED, <1A for 3 lights total

My conclusion - get the 9.9. Get a solar panel for days you aren't moving and still want to charge the battery. Or just to supplement the motor. The specs were written in mind for people already had an outboard. I had a San Juan 24 with an 8 HP Honda. Never got it more than 1/2 throttle and it was twice as heavy as your boat.

Another engine to consider is the Tohatsu 6 Sailpro with XL shaft. 5A alternator though. But lots cheaper I bet.
It pushes our 40' catamaran, 16,000 lbs at 3.5 knots :)
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

So a Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker it is. This has been on my mind since I bought the plans; 9.9HP or 15HP ? Thank you all for your valuable input and steering me in the right direction. Extra expense on unnecessary horsepower is obviously senseless, the money being better spent on other things. I did a spreadsheet at the onset with all possible line items I could think of and this $750 savings will surely go towards other practical outfitting items. The solar panel was also on the back burner but now more of a reality.

Marc