To repaint or not...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

To repaint or not...

Post by LSUred »

My dad talked me into letting him spraycoat my fs17. This was over a year ago, and since then I've flipped it and started finishing the inside. But I'm just not real happy with how it turned out. It's the s3 whidbey white. Like the color, just not the application. Would it be crazy to roll and tip over the spray job? For some reason I painted it before drilling any transom holes or bow eye holes, so it needs touch up anyway. Anyone ever painted a boat sitting on a trailer?

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: To repaint or not...

Post by dbcrx »

What's wrong with the paint job? If it's something like orange peel you could try rubbing down and polishing, might keep you happy for a few years.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred »

There's some orange peel. A little run too. But I'm just thinking, if I already have to do touch ups if I shouldn't just sand and recoat everything. Is it hard to tip and roll small areas and blend them?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The System Three paint is difficult to spray. It should be done with an HVLP gun and the hose must run through a cold water bucket to keep the paint from kicking too fast. Even good paint sprayers have problems.
It's much easier to do a good job with roll and tip.
Keep in mind that the S3 paint is never going to be as glossy as the Sterling paint.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com