Jackplate question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jackplate question

Post by LSUred »

Just received my Bobs mini hydraulic jack. 6" setback with 6" of travel. It appears that the resting position of the jack has a natural rise of about 2.5-3"... Meaning when the jack is at its lowest setting, the motor bolt holes are about 3" higher than the holes where the jack mounts to the transom.

My question is this: for a 20" shaft, do I subtract that 2.5-3" from the shaft length of 20" to mount my jackplate to the transom? So where I'd mount my motor (without a jack) to the transom at 19.5 or 20" and drill the holes, I'm actually gonna drill my holes and mount my jackplate at 16.5-17" above the keel?

Also, I believe the 20" mark is for the top bolt hole of the motor, correct? So if it's too low, I can use the lower mounting holes in the motor bracket to gradually raise the motor to the desired height?

I apologize immensely if this post is confusing. Believe me, I'm pretty confused just thinking about it.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jackplate question

Post by Cracker Larry »

It's not that complicated :D The jack plate is made and intended to mount in the standard engine mounting holes, don't drill any new ones. There is enough range of adjustment with the engine mounting holes for it all to work out right 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Jackplate question

Post by LSUred »

No holes in the transom yet! Sorry, forgot to mention that. Fresh build, not yet splashed.