FS 17 More floor problems

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS 17 More floor problems

Post by jacquesmm »

Joel just told me that the sole may not have been built per plans. If that's the case, let us know how it was built and we'll try to help.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I still don't understand why it failed. There is fiberglass tape on each side plus what ever glass you put on the sole.
I don't think he used glass on the underside

In that case it would only be the small 1"x3" holding the the tension between the two panels - that's only 1- 1/2" bond area on each side, not enough. Butt block or glass splice (per plans) would not fail. Butt blocks made of 1/4" would have more than doubel to bonding area.

When you stand on that part of the sole, the bottom splice is in tension, so you have only half of a pine 1x3 holding the joint together. Something else! the pine 1x3 grain is running parallel to the joint, so you have very little strength in the right direction (crossing the joint). I would bet the 1x3 just split along its grain

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I would bet the 1x3 just split along its grain
My thoughts exactly.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Cracker Larry wrote:
I would bet the 1x3 just split along its grain
My thoughts exactly.
I see it now in the pic. The cleat is not over stringer or frame, I missed that.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct as Joel pointed out.
At this point, I don't know how to fix it without removing at least one side and using a plywood butt block.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

jacquesmm wrote: At this point, I don't know how to fix it without removing at least one side and using a plywood butt block.
Could he cut a 6" wide slot centered along the joint and install a 10" wide plywood cleat under the sole in the sole? (In two pcs)
Screw it in while the glue dries, remove the screws, blow patch the slot and tape over the patch?
We use similar method to put backing in millwork.
Might be less destructive than ripping out the floor.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, I thought of that and the end result will look like the butt block we use in the OD's but, he must be able to remove the 1x3.
If he can remove the 1x3, it is a good solution.

designlady
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by designlady »

I drilled holes and injected glue the first time it happened. That got me thru the summer. The second time I cut about a 3/16" grove down the seams, injected glue, weighted it then covered it with 1 layer of tape. This time I opened up the seams, juked glue in with a putty knife till I was sure it got between the ply and the block. Then put 2 layers of biax tape. You know the story from there. I'm not sure where to go now. I do like Richards idea with the dowels or screws. At this point I don't know if I trust dowels. Really would like to do this only one more time and get back on the water. I'm thinking screws or laminating another 1/4".
Which way do I go?

Willie

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Willie, I don't think the screws will help if the pine is split. Let me post a crude sketch of my idea.

Richard

designlady
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by designlady »

Guys
This is occurring at both front and rear seams. That would mean every 1x3 split on the grain. Not likely it would happen at every one. I'm out of town working so I can't check the plans but I don't recall that it needed a taped joint underneath the sole. Besides, the 2 layers of tape on top should have been as good as a butt block on the bottom without the 1x3.
Right. The sole was built per plan except for the 1x3. For the 1x3 not being enough glue area, I've seen on this forum where sole joints were glued over frames and cleats. Less area than a 1x3. BTW The question was asked during the build if the 1x3 in the framing would be alright. I would not have used it without an OK.
I don't mean to be confrontational, just frustrated and want to know how to fix it for good and get back to fishing.

Willie