Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fuzz »

Building something for a test is a great idea! I much prefer to run outboards in a tank rather than a hose so I built a tank on casters for that use. Got to learn about epoxy and got the tank I wanted out of the deal.
Fuzz

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Ok Fellas,

I got the first backing board glued to transom. That Gelmagic is thick as camel snot!! :lol:
Hardest thing I had to figure out was how much to mix. I mixed a small batch (6ozs.) then I could get an idea of how much to bond both surfaces. I only layed up the first backing board as I want to see how it cures. Being a machine shop owner I have plenty of weights around the shop in the form of stainless steel drops. I put about 450 pounds on the lay up that should be good enough.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

450lbs is a lot! You'll see lots of pictures around here with a few epoxy jugs or paint cans on top of a laminate.

You just need enough to get even pressure across the surface, doesn't need a huge clamping force. With lots of force you can risk squeezing out some of your epoxy at the highly loaded spots.

I also like to have something to locate the boards relative to each other - either an edge to index on, or even better a couple of small dowels. I've had a couple sheets try to slip around as they cure, only takes a slight angle to make it slide.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Matt is correct. Epoxy is gap filling. Do not squeeze all the glue out with so much pressure. The bond will not be as string if you squeeze the glue out.
Most of our pictures show pressure applied with the weight of a couple of CBS blocks or paint cans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Well Crap. It's a done deal at this point. I use less pressure on the stringers. There was not a lot of glue that was squeezed out, hopefully I'm ok. :roll:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Well had a major goof today. I cut the wrong Motor well brackets. I planned on a single motor and cut the brackets for the twin motor set up.

So I have fiberglassed the waste back to the top of the cut piece. I'll only need about 3 inches at the top of the bracket to make the correction. I believe this will be fine for two reasons: First the thrust vector of the outboard will not be directed at the very top of the transom and second, I plan on full transom so this surface will be boxed in.

Word of advise, Never cut anything without a clear mind. I'd left the hospital to check on my Father, he had quadruple bypass last Sunday and recovery is going tough on him. I had hoped to escape life and cut some plywood today. Not the best of ideas. :cry: [-o<

Steven

Post by Steven »

Hope your dad recovers well. Don't sweat the goofs. We all make them. I cut the stern end of my bottom panels backwards. You can see the wedge I glued back on. :)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

So much Fun! HAHAHAAA

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Transom Lay up!