Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eric's C21

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, every 24".
There is a part that is a straight line, it is marked straight but after that, we measure every 24".
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Hi Jacques,

Thank you for the answers. :) I have another. When I apply the biax cloth to the hull, do I wrap along the length or from side to side? I don't want to mis use the cloth. I'm thinking along the length would be easier to fair.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Lengthwise.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Well today I was able to put the bottom on the jig. I zip tied at 1,3,6,9 and 12 feet just to keep the panel loosely in place. It looks pretty good but when I tried to push the bow together the panel want to jump over each other between the last frame and bow mold.
I looked in the gallery at Stefan's C21 build. It looks like he used copper wire about every 4 inches. I also noticed his bow mold appears to be a good bit higher than mine.
First thing tomorrow I am checking the height on bow mold. I'm sure I have it set 1/2" below baseline at the center. Once I confirm it's correct, I plan to add zip ties every 4 inches.
All I know is something is not right, this is my plan to try to find out what's off.

Signed,

Determined Old Fart

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the bow mold, don't set it up with the baseline. Instead, line it up at the keel. It must be flush with the last mold.
Which type of wood do you use?
If necessary, you cut a slice off where the panels interfere. Often, 1/2" is all what it takes.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Ok, I'm confused as a cross eyed rooster. I'm not understanding where I should have bow mold vertically.
May I ask you to draw a picture for me?
I double checked my mold spacing and it is correct and I was at 1/2" below baseline on the bow mold. I used the base line to level all the other molds , so I assumed this was correct from the drawing that shows the mold dimensions.

To answer your question, I have used Okoume 1088. I had thought trimming the panel may be needed as when I layed these out the short curve was a bit difficult so they may be off a little.

Can you tell I've never built a boat? :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Any luck with the missing posts on this thread?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am working on it as fast as I can. I guess it will take me a full day, I have to go through them one at a time.
Feel free to post the same question, I will answer.
I remember that you had flipped the panel: keel side to chine side but there was also a question about trimming.
What is that you want to trim?
With the panel in the correct position, it should match now.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

There is the rub, I had the keel side correct.

A couple of things I've noticed: When I have brought the panel together to form the bow I noted both outside edges do not touch the edge of frame "B" and the panel are above the inside stringers about 1"-1 1/2".

Right now the plan is to mount a ledger board at centerline from frame "B" to frame "A".
Then pull each bottom panel to the bow mold one at a time. First pressing the panel down to the edge of frame "B" and zip tiying it in place. Continue to form panel down to inside stringer and zip tie it in place within a 1/4" of touching stringer.
Finally bring panel down to bow mold and zip tie it in place.
Once in place I will get underneath the panel and mark the centerline onto the panel. Then I plan to trim off the edge outside of the marked line.

There is so much stress in the plywood right now I doubt filled epoxy is going to hold it together when I remove the zip ties.
I am considering using some 6oz plain weave cloth to make 2" wide x 6" long reinforcing strips to be added after the fillede epoxy is in place.

Plan B is not a great idea. Try to use small screws (10-32) and large flat washers above and small washers below the panels to keep the plywood from jumping over each other.

All that said, I'm stepping away from this until this weekend I'm stressed and I need a break. Wish I had a Mentor to help me at this point.

Eric

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Can you please post pictures?
If you can't post pictures, email them to me at
support@e-boat.net

We can try to discuss it without pictures but that will be very difficult.

Try this first:
- are all you stitches loose? I mean loose with about 1" play?
- are you working on the bottom panel only or on the bottom and side panels at the same time?
- did you go to our gallery and searched with the word C21? I found many pictures of the building including this one:
and that one:
and this:

That is a C21 and that is how your panels should look.
Look for the album named
Stefans C21 Album