Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Small batches work great with these:

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... =e_syringe

Just get one for resin and one for hardener. Very precise and easy to mix whatever size batch you need.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You Fred! I have some 10cc but they are a PITA to fill. These look like the trick. :D

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

How are you filling them? I use 2 small cups, one for resin and one for hardener. Each one gets its own syringe. First suck up the resin with the syringe, taking a little more than you need. Wipe the tip off with a paper towel, point the syringe up and draw a little air in, wait for the bubbles to rise to the top, then press the plunger a bit to purge the air, then purge the excess resin back into the cup to get to the amount you want (lets say 10 cc for example) in the syringe. Then shoot that into a small mixing cup or bowl. Now do the same with hardener, but half as much. Mix and use.

It takes longer to explain than to do. The important part is getting the air bubbles out so they don't throw off the ratios when you are dealing with small amounts.

The syringes last a while doing it this way, as long as you don't let them sit too long between uses. then they get sticky. You can usually fix that by drawing a little epoxy in and working the plunger back and forth a little at a time to free it up again.

I've had some that have a real small opening and are hard to fill since the resin is viscous. On those I either use a narrow pick tool or a small drill bit to make the opening a little bigger. then they work fine.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Big Thank You to Fred! You motivated me to find some bigger syringes and they are the trick! :D
I didn't want to wait for these to ship from Jeff. I found these at Tractor Supply in town.

I mixed 24 cc's of epoxy and it was perfect for the 1 1/2" x 4' section. The next section has to bridge the overlap of biaxial tape at the bow so there is a small gap from that to the side. I plan to mix about 30 cc's to have enough to fill that gap. Here is the section I put on this morning.

I've been taking it easy at work and not sanding anything on the boat this week. My shoulder is not hurting at all this morning. As a matter of fact nothing was hurting when I woke up! I pinched my self just to make sure I wasn't dead!! :lol: :lol:

So after that last section sets up I'm gonna try some sanding with this air tool. It's a tool we use in the shop for deburring metal parts. I could not justify buying it to build a boat, This one runs around $500.00. 8O I'll knock the tops off the last two strakes and finish the radius by hand.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I got the last 4' section of sprayrail on this side on this morning. I've tossed ideas around on the lamination for this and I've decided I'll have to round the sharp edge of the foam to do it right. It's going to add a fair amount of work to the build but I would not be pleased cutting the corner so to speak. I'll build the edge back up like the transom after the fiberglass is in place.

Jeff, I may have to order another roll of 4" tape. :lol:

Here is the reason for building this boat. On the left is Danielle my oldest and third from left is Judy. We spent yesterday afternoon at the lake goofing around. It's always good to be near the water.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Fine looking family Eric 8) :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You Larry. They are my world.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good looking group of young ladies Eric!!! I think they are waiting for their boat???? Jeff

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Your spray rails are looking great. Sanding a large hull like yours will certainly wear a person down. I hope your tool makes the sanding job more efficient. It will be worth the labor in the end when you can cruise around the lake with your daughters in a boat you built.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Just wondering, how in heck do you keep the boys away :?: :!: Shotgun :?: :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose