Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

Just checking in. Weather has warmed enough I can do a little boat work now. Everyone here is good. I started working on the jon boat my Dad gave me before he passed. I stripped it bare. Removed 300 pounds of water logged styrofoam and the transom plywood was rotted. Yesterday I dug out a 3/4 sheet of merenti I bought from Tom. Funny to think I have less in the sheet than a new sheet of exterior ply sales for now. Oh yea, just a heads up...If you drop a 3/4 sheet edge first on your foot it will hurt a bunch. I've also bought a 15 foot Weldcraft with a 30 hp Suzuki to fish and hunt from. I got tired of waiting on my friends to ask and I want to go fishing. I reckon everyone is just busy with their own lives. I get it. I did an overnight trip with a friend of mine last week. We tried to find crappie but most of what we caught were white bass. I did catch a 2 lb crappie, pretty happy with that. :D That's all for now. I wish you all well.
Eric

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Good to hear from you, Eric!

Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you out of trouble- boat building and I guess you're still doing the cured meats?
Hank

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Good to hear from you Eric!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Glad to hear you are doing well!
Sounds like some fun projects lined up to keep you out of trouble :)

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Eric1 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:00 pm Just checking in. Weather has warmed enough I can do a little boat work now. Everyone here is good. I started working on the jon boat my Dad gave me before he passed. I stripped it bare. Removed 300 pounds of water logged styrofoam and the transom plywood was rotted. Yesterday I dug out a 3/4 sheet of merenti I bought from Tom. Funny to think I have less in the sheet than a new sheet of exterior ply sales for now. Oh yea, just a heads up...If you drop a 3/4 sheet edge first on your foot it will hurt a bunch. I've also bought a 15 foot Weldcraft with a 30 hp Suzuki to fish and hunt from. I got tired of waiting on my friends to ask and I want to go fishing. I reckon everyone is just busy with their own lives. I get it. I did an overnight trip with a friend of mine last week. We tried to find crappie but most of what we caught were white bass. I did catch a 2 lb crappie, pretty happy with that. :D That's all for now. I wish you all well.
Eric
Those fish will comingle. And the best way to deal with that is timing. The WB go and eat at separate times. It is the weirdest thing to catch different species at different times of day. Fishing lake of the woods for crappies, I was on an area with tons of signature, but they refused to bite if the sun was too high in the sky...

2# crappie is a nice fish for these parts
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great to hear from you Eric!!! I hope all is well with your girls!!! Take care, Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric is so good to here from you. Watch out for those pieces of plywood they can bite you. :lol:

Regards to you and the girls, Tom.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Wonderful to hear that life's good for you Eric. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

pee wee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:43 am Good to hear from you, Eric!

Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you out of trouble- boat building and I guess you're still doing the cured meats?
Yep, I just had a batch of landyaeger finish drying and a flat pancetta. I have a rolled pancetta drying and bresaola along with a spicy and a fennel gabagool drying.
I should have three nice sticks of sopressata finished in the next few days. Lastly I got a good deal on a whole New York strip, I'm dry aging it also.
I've added cheese making to my repertoire. I've made boursin and a wonderful marinated feta. In the aging chamber I have a couple of pounds of butterkase that will be ready to taste May 5 and a very spicy pepperjack that will mature until July 4. I want to make camembert and brie but I am having a hard time getting cream that is not ultra pasteurized. I will have to buy raw milk at $6.5 a gallon just to get the cream.

Overall, Life is good. When the shop closed I weighed 214. I started a lowcarb/keto diet as my blood sugar was out of control. I weigh 179-183 now and my sugar is around 122-128 in the morning. I've had to learn to take care of me before taking care of others. My daughters pretty much take care of themselves now so that has made it easier to work on me. I couldn't tell you about the rest of the family as expected I seldom hear from them. I expected that once the money stopped flowing. C'est la vie.

Good to hear from everyone! Remember, Life's a journey,so enjoy the ride!
Eric

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Hi Eric. I just caught up on the past year or more. You've had a rough time of it but things look like they are turning round now. All the best. Mike