Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

Update on the Great kitchen fiasco of 2019.

Installer so comes up from Lowes yesterday. Pulls the dishwasher out and says the front leg is bent.
I said yes no big deal it will bend back easily. So he reaches down and bends it back in place.
Now he pulls it all the way out and sees I'd connected the water hose. he says to me, "This has been installed I can't come behind someone because we have to warranty the install". I told him I connected it because I didn't want to chance cutting it when I pushed it in place. understand the water has never been turn on. After listening to him tell me the same garbage twice I told him Just do the install and I'll write you a waiver declining your warranty. He says ok and starts to write down the supplies he'll need. I thought that odd as the was already done back in January and Lowes had it on record. Then he says, "I have to go back to Lowes for an electrical box and the rest of the stuff". He leaves, Ten minutes later I get a call from "Central Processing". The lady tells me they can't install because I took it out of the box,the leg was bent and you guess it, I hooked up the water line. There was no changing her mind.
I headed to Lowes. I asked to speak with a Store Manager and he came out and I went through the whole thing with him. Fully expecting no results I called a local plumbing company and schedule them for today. He asked me to call them and give him a chance to correct this. He calls Central Processing and talks at length with the same lady that called me. He explains to her that I had to take it from the box to make sure it was going to fit due to the floor/counter top issues. Then he covered me connecting the line as not to crimp or cut it. He goes on to tell her that has installed hundreds of these and what I did was no problem. She still refuses. He asked if the bent leg was a warranty issue why did her man bend back in place? He went on to tell her her installer had no business lying to me about picking up parts then calling her to refuse the job. She still refused.
No he gets off the phone and apologizes to me profusely. He tells me he is going to refund all of my money all the way back to January.
Turns out "Central Processing" is the third party contractor that that store uses. He said, he wanted to call them to try to fix the situation and if they didn't that the call is recorded. The calls are tracked before a contract is renewed.
He tells me that he was the one to interviewed my daughter Judy for her job. I never brought it up, didn't think he knew who I was. He asked if I knew why she was hired. I replied no no really. He said when he asked her why do you want to work here she told him what I said to her that morning. I had see they were having a job fair, I went home and woke up both of my girls saying get your butts out of bed and go apply at Lowes.
We all chuckled at that some, Then he tells me he still needs cashiers. Danielle was with me and though she applied she didn't get a full interview.
He tells her to re-apply online and he would be in touch! Get this, He offers to pay for the full install no matter what the other company charges!!
I can't allow that because it doesn't feel right to me. Then he says let me pay for half of it because you were wronged while in Lowes charge. I agreed to that. So hopefully this is reaching the end of it's course.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

:D :D :D Finally!!! :D :D :D
Dishwasher is being installed!!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

The last of the easy ones are installed!!
I know I had a couple of boards that warp a little. I'll sand them level and start the cleats on the bulkheads next.
I may have to use the hot glue method as I can't wrap my head around clamping them.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Hey, Eric. One of the first things I noticed about your boat, was the way you faired the style line of the upper and lower side panel into nothing at the bow. The detail struck me as familiar, but wasn’t sure why.

It’s only now that I’ve recognized this as a traditional wooden boat detail that is created at the point where an overlapping plank is rabbeted into the adjacent plank in a tapered rabbet at the bow. Basically feathering out to flush at the stem.

Like most traditional details, the current aesthetic comes from traditional function.

Very nice detail, sir. Looking forward to seeing more!

Build on!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks Dan. I had no idea. It just seemed like the way to do it. :D

Ok here is how I'm holding the side cleats in place.
I set two levels across the stringers. Used a small foam 90 degree wedge and glued from the underside while holding the cleat against the bottom of the level.

I cut the cleats to minimize the gaps as needed.
This should eliminate the need for clamping to hold them in place.
The level line I struck makes the gap look larger than it is.

Cleat removed to show the supports.
I ran the cleats through the table saw to cut the tops level. I started at 18 degrees progressing to 22 degrees where I left off.
As these form a compound curve near the bow a flat cut is not perfect. They start to form an acute angle the further forward I go.
That said it is a very small area. I plan to use the gap filling character of epoxy glue to fill this when the sole is glued down.

Moving forward I will turn the cleats 90 degrees to minimize the angular cut I'll need to fit them at level.
I'm not sure if cleat are really bring much to the picture at the bow. I will install them none the less.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Excellent work as always Eric!!! Jeff

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Hey, Eric. Are you inclined to build any camber into the deck so it drains to the side, or just make it level?

I’ve been wondering about what approach is best.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Very nice work Eric. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 pm Hey, Eric. Are you inclined to build any camber into the deck so it drains to the side, or just make it level?

I’ve been wondering about what approach is best.
I'm going with level.

Thanks Glossie.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Just wondering couldn't you have kerfed the side cleats to make the bends? Then fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy and put in place?

Regardless, looking great Eric and am I thrilled to know you're moving forward on the boat!!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain