Mark's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
mmachonis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mark's C21

Post by mmachonis »

Jacques,

I just want to confirm that when gluing the planking puzzle pieces together, I use Gel Magic to glue them and I do not put any cloth or tape on the seam. Is that correct?

Mark

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct. The seams will be covered by glass later, when you fiberglass.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

What is better for the puzzle joints, GelMagic or epoxy?
Tim

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Doesn't matter as long as it fills the very small gap.

mmachonis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mmachonis »

Jacques,

Its great to be back on the build! Remember me, Mark Machonis - C21 - Manahawkin NJ! I am about to start filleting the seams of my panels. I will attach a few pictures that will show the fairness of the boat right now before I start filleting just to make sure it appears fair enough for your standards. My question is this. I will be zip tying the bottom panels together at the keel and the lower side panel to the bottom panels at the chine per the instructions, but can fillet the bottom panels at the keel without having the bottom side panels attached to the bottom panels? Or does the weight of the bottom side panels help to keep the bottom panels in place? Just a thought, because it is easier to fillet the keel of the bottom side panels are not attached to the bottom panels.

Thanks.

Mark

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Hi Mark!
Glad to see you get back at your build!!! :)
I can't answer for Jacques but I waited until I had my side panels zip tied on. The weight seemed to help hold the bottom down.
I have posted a good many photos and I have tried to leave some detail in the comments. I hope they may be of some help.
Look for "Erics C21" in the gallery. Best wishes for a smooth build! 8)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

can fillet the bottom panels at the keel without having the bottom side panels attached to the bottom panels? Or does the weight of the bottom side panels help to keep the bottom panels in place?
I prefer not but you can do it if you pull the panels close to the frames, for example with straps.
Once that fillet and seam are built, the bottom panel will not bend anymore or barely.

mmachonis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mmachonis »

Jacques,

Good Afternoon!

I am verifying my frame alignment prior to attaching panels to the mold. I was wondering what the distance from the keel of frame B to the chine of the transom should be? Using the diagonals from the from the Keel of Frame B to the left and right Chine of the Transom to make sure they are the same. I am coming up with 174 inches.

I also plan to take a T-square and extend it level from the keel to the chine and measure the distance from the level edge of the square down to the edge of the chine and compare the distances for each side of each frame.

I was also considering putting equal sized spacer boards between each frame at the keel the chine and the sheer to assure a plum symetrical frame. The MDF Frames seems to bend a bit. It's not that much but enough to make me concerned about tolerances. The bend can be as much as 1/2 inch.

Is this over kill, or am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

Mark

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is a complicated request, I have to open the 3D model and calculate that but as you say, it is overkill.
We compare the diagonals to ensure squareness, it is a check. If your distances between frames are correct and the diagonals equal, you are fine.
If not, the panels will be too long on one side and too short on the other.

mmachonis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mmachonis »

I have done a dry run of attaching the panels to the boat and they fit fine from bow to stern. There is about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch pitch difference between the mounted transom and the cut angle of the sides of the panels as they meet the transom. There also appears to be a slight dip in the line of the keel as the bottom panels begin there sharpest bend to the bow. I need to test my theory with a straight edge or a level piece of string. However, I'm just checking to see if this is normal. I will send a picture if it turns out to be more than an optical illusion.