alls good

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Extreme Flats 20 Problems

Post by TomW1 »

Nice looking boat. Where did you post the pictures? Peewee can you pull up any more.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I found your pictures in the build galleried and could really not see the problem you are describing. Maybe Jacques will tomorrow.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

Where is the cavitation plate in relation to the top of the tunnel. The picture isn't very clear but it looks like the motor is mounted way too low. I had to raise my transom about a foot higher than yours to get the correct motor height.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Dan, your motor and jack plate are too low and your prop doesn't have enough cup.
I'm thinking that's what is causing your problem.
It might be trim but that hasn't been a problem for me.
Here is a shot of my boat with 650 lbs of butt near the stern...

Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

From what I could see from the gallery pictures, the jackplate/engine mounting plate are scooping water into the boat when you lower the jackplate. I'm running a Powertech triple cup ,four blade prop and it doesn't cavitate.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

cali123 wrote:From what I could see from the gallery pictures, the jackplate/engine mounting plate are scooping water into the boat when you lower the jackplate. I'm running a Powertech triple cup ,four blade prop and it doesn't cavitate.
I agree 100%
I'm running the same prop with no cavitation.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Gorgeous picture Richard. That prop is outstanding for your HP. I sorted of assumed CaptDan would keep his 40HP since he had it. He should go up in HP if he can of course, when I recommended going down to a smaller prop. He can only take a 10 1/4" diameter prop. unless he changes motors. I totally agree he needs as we as we stated to help him get his trim problem solved. Maybe an extension on the motor control, so he sets further forward since he has tiller steering.

Tom

brianincc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brianincc »

Nice looking rig. Definitely not enough cup on the prop. When I built mine I had a 50 yamaha 2 smoke on it and started out with a similar prop and it didnt work at all. finally settled on a powertech 4 blade with mucho cup and it ran well after that. It doesnt look like you have a sharp trailing edge on the back of the boat either and that would certainly not help with the cavitation\ventilation problem as well as allow the water to run up and be picked up by the jackplate. You will be very happy with the boat once you get it sorted out. I wish I never would have sold mine. Its now in Georgia somewhere.
Also with the 50hp I got about 28mph loaded and 32mph solo with a little chop on the water to break her loose.

CaptDan
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CaptDan »

Thanks to all for your suggestions. My pictures are in the build Gallery. I am not smart enough to insert them here.

The boat has good weight distribution and trim. It will flood at all stages of trim. From Planning with the bow slightly up, bow slightly down or just porpoising and anywhere in between . Loaded or empty it FLOODS as shown in the photo. Yes I have run it with a LONG tiller extension with just me in the boat. Same results though. I started out with the Motor mounted as high as it will go on the Jack Plate and kept moving it down . Where it is mounted now the Cavitation Plate will go below the tunnel. But it has not worked at any height so far. I can move the Jack Plate up one hole on the transom . Beyond that, I will have to raise the 20 inch transom to be able to get it any higher.

By the way the Paint is Valspar Dura Max (semi gloss) Latex house paint over Hi build 2 part epoxy primer. You can't chip it off
I have been using it for years. It is tough and a lot easier to touch up than those expensive 2 part "Marine" paints. The decks are the same with beach sand for non skid.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

As light as this boat is I would expect a WOT speed of 33 MPH.
A 20' long and 8' wide boat with 40 hp, running 33 ? Dream on. That won't happen.

Your engine in this picture looks at least 3 inches too low, IMO.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose