alls good

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CaptDan
New Poster
New Poster

alls good

Post by CaptDan »

Extreme Flats 20 not false:

but thanks anyway
Last edited by CaptDan on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Extreme Flats 20 Problems

Post by Cracker Larry »

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?
First off, you will need more HP to go much faster than you are. That's a big boat and 40 hp isn't much.

As to the flooding, never heard of such, that ain't right for sure. It has to be a serious trim issue. Can you post pictures of your transom and engine set up? If you don't know how, email them to me. LTeuton at aol dot com

My other thought maybe possible about the flooding, does the transom and bottom joint meet in a round edge or a good sharp one?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I'm like Larry very puzzled. First for that boat and motor combination you need to go down to an 11" or 9" pitch on a four blade prop. And or up in HP and propeller size. Give me your tach readings at full speed, with the 13" pitch and I can be more specific.

How is the trim of the boat? Is it trim down at the stern? That could be causing the water to be coming off the bottom and up into the boat.

Larry had a good point are the rear surfaces where the water is leaving the boat fairly sharp. They need to be sharp enough just so paint will hold on say a 1/16".
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

You will need to know the WOT revs before you can decide on which is the best prop to use. If your boat doesn't have a tach then you can get the digital wrap round spark plugs ones very cheaply on ebay or Amazon. They do work well. Let us know the revs you get, the max revs you should get and we can advise as to the best prop. Once you have sorted the trim problems of course. No real point in tuning the engine before the boat, but it does sound as though you are running in a semi displacement mode

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's premature to discuss the details of the prop.
As Richard writes
No real point in tuning the engine before the boat, but it does sound as though you are running in a semi displacement mode
With hundreds of XF20's afloat, all running well with different size engines, we never heard of that water throwing phenomena.
Where does that water come from? Over the bow, the transom? The sides?
You may be at a ugly trim pushing a big wave at semi-displacement speed.

I also agree with Larry: with 40 HP, a boat with the sole option and at least 2 persons onboard, you are at the limit of the required HP.
The max. 50 HP is for the standard version: light, no sole. I have been on one of the first ones with a 25 but light and tiller version and it performed well.
Most of the sole option ones use a 75 and some go higher: see the study plans picture with a 115.

Bottom line: you are somewhat under powered for a fully fitted boat with a crew of 2 or more. I would try to swap that engine for a larger one before fiddling with the prop and engine height.

PS: I saw that you emailed before and tested the boat with Billy Henderson. He is building boats in the same style and I don't think he is a supporter of my design . . . :?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

CaptDan
New Poster
New Poster

None

Post by CaptDan »

Done
Last edited by CaptDan on Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hi Dan,
Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your XF20.
Can you post a photo of your setup? Is the distance from the top of your transom to the top of your tunnel 16" or 20"?
My guess is that the fixed part of your jacplate is too low and is deflecting water over your transom.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

CaptDan
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CaptDan »

I just posted pictures of the transom with Jack Plate and Water Flooding over the transom in front of the Motor.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

When I wrote trim, I was thinking about hull trim, weight distribution, not engine trim.
I'll try to find your pictures tomorrow: I am at home and have a slow connection.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com