Super Light SC16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Super Light SC16

Post by terrulian »

I am just very impressed with this whole build. Great work.
I should take a picture of my boat now. I don't know how many beaches you're going to be visiting, but mine is now muddy inside and out and has a few scratches and dings. Where I did not put bronze on the skeg it is worn through the epoxy/graphite to the primer. So...I hope you treat yours a lot nicer!
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I had doubts: $ 1,000.00 max. cost and 100 lbs max. weight was an ambitious goal but he did tT! Plus the boat is fast and good looking. Congratulations.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Thanks to you for the great hull design and help Jacques. She is a bit of a head turner with the cane seats and mahogany gunwales. A simple little boat, but functional as all get out for me. Grew up fishing in a canoe with a small outboard on the side down in S. Florida so this is a bit of return to my youth but in style.

I am going to install two more skegs on either side of the middle one using similar size pieces of mahogany to help with the hull flexing. Was not a problem in Homassassa, but watching that keel flex up and down just makes me nervous that over time that joint could fail. I will glass them before I install them to protect the wood, but then will just bright coat them and glue them down as the paint I used for the outside is gone. If it looks too weird I'll fix it, but it might be kind of a cool contrast. Will probably kill my 100 lb limit as I can't see them coming in at 1 lb or less each :roll: :roll:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Craig you built a beautiful boat and brought it in under 100 lbs at launch. Now is the time to make it last, do what you need to do, another 2-4 lbs won't feel like much getting it up on your truck. I won't hold it against you that my guess was a 102 lbs. :lol:

Take care, put up No Excuse for the winter.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Tom
Put it up for the winter :?: In NC :doh: Dang, it's been in the high 80's here for a month. Halloween set a record high ever of 90 degrees. Supposed to get cooler this weekend, but not much. That boat ain't never been put up for the winter :lol: But if you must...fill the oil tank, change the gear lube and grease the prop shaft, put fuel stabilizer and Yamaha ring free in the gas tank. Run the engine for 20 minutes then pull the fuel line and let it run until it shuts off and the carbs are dry. Pull the plugs and spray some CRC in the cylinders, turn engine over a couple of time to distribute. Replace plugs with new. Gapped correctly. Drain engine of all water, tilt it up and down several times to get the water out of the power head and leg. Grease the hell out of everything. Charge batteries. In the spring replace the water pump impeller, it's due, but if you do it now the vanes will take a set from sitting over the winter. Also replace the fuel filter in the spring. She would prefer to be cranked once a week than sitting pickled, but she'll be OK pickled too if you do all that.

Cape Man is driving up this afternoon and spending the night with us. Really looking forward to his visit :D It's been too long since we've tipped a cup.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Cracker Larry wrote:

Tom
Put it up for the winter :?: In NC :doh: Dang, it's been in the high 80's here for a month. Halloween set a record high ever of 90 degrees. Supposed to get cooler this weekend, but not much. That boat ain't never been put up for the winter :lol: But if you must...fill the oil tank, change the gear lube and grease the prop shaft, put fuel stabilizer and Yamaha ring free in the gas tank. Run the engine for 20 minutes then pull the fuel line and let it run until it shuts off and the carbs are dry. Pull the plugs and spray some CRC in the cylinders, turn engine over a couple of time to distribute. Replace plugs with new. Gapped correctly. Drain engine of all water, tilt it up and down several times to get the water out of the power head and leg. Grease the hell out of everything. Charge batteries. In the spring replace the water pump impeller, it's due, but if you do it now the vanes will take a set from sitting over the winter. Also replace the fuel filter in the spring. She would prefer to be cranked once a week than sitting pickled, but she'll be OK pickled too if you do all that.

Cape Man is driving up this afternoon and spending the night with us. Really looking forward to his visit :D It's been too long since we've tipped a cup.
Enjoy your visit! :D Yep would have had to back the boat down the ramp 40' or more as we are in an extreme drought and I'm not that good a backer upper. :help: Just followed the Yamaha manual for storing it for winter, plus a couple of the ones you mentioned, I think she's covered and will start right up.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cape Man got in earlier than expected and we had a great afternoon celebrating our 2nd. and 21st amendment rights :D They aren't supposed to mix, but we found they go together real good :lol:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You two got together last night and today half the net is down........................just saying :doh:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Never know what's going to happen when we get together :lol:

Internet is sure a mess today :?

gatorgrizz27
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gatorgrizz27 »

Beautiful build! I'm glad to see you met your goals, I'm on the brink of following suit. Did you only end up using 4 sheets of the 4mm ply? I see the plans call for 6 sheets total, but I assume the 2 thicker sheets are for the frames and decks which were omitted.

How would you compare the stability to a normal Jon boat? I can stand on a cooler and throw a cast net in my 14x32 by myself, but it is too tippy to stand with another person standing up in it. I'd love for the SC 16 to be useful with a guy standing in the bow fly fishing and one in the stern poling.