Super Light SC16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Super Light SC16

Post by jacquesmm »

Here is a picture from the boat in Homosassa, taken form the NV23. Sorry, we weren't close enough but you can see that she moves fast, with 2 persons on board.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Thanks for the pic Jacques. She does scoot along nice for such a small engine.

As to a guy fishing in the front while someone poles, it will really depend on the two guys involved. She's stable, but not as stable as a flatter boat. Poling by myself was a joy, but it would take the right kind of seaman/fisherman up front to make a two person attack work. I'll give you a better report after the first week of January.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Rollbar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rollbar »

Very very nice.

Wonder if you can beef it up to handle a 25hp like some of these Gheenoe's.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yeah...if you build it to the specs that Jacques developed and added some stiffening to the transom. But then it would not be a super light SC16 as his plan weight comes in at 175lbs! I did everything in the build to avoid another trailer and allow two people to car/truck top her.

A 10hp on this hull would absolutely scream. A 25 would be outright dangerous (but FUN!). I am actually really OK with the get there slow and steady and burn little gas. I started all my boating under human power or sail, not owning a power boat until my adult life. There are huge advantages to having a light, small boat that can slip into back waters and flats like this one, and it might amaze you what you see at 6mph that you miss at 20.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 am There are huge advantages to having a light, small boat that can slip into back waters and flats like this one, and it might amaze you what you see at 6mph that you miss at 20.
Well said. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Rollbar wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 pm Very very nice.

Some may put 25's on Gheenoes but it is certainly not to USCG specs.
Years ago I posted the capacity tag for a Gheenoe, it showed 5 HP.
As others have said, it would be dangerous but a 10 HP while too much power can still be fun.

cape man

Post by cape man »

As others have said, it would be dangerous but a 10 HP while too much power can still be fun.
The "Gheenoe" of years ago has evolved into a miniature flats boat for some of the models, that are coming out of dealerships with a 25hp.

[image]http://www.floridasportsman.com/files/2 ... 24x682.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.customgheenoe.com/wp-content ... 70x400.jpg[/image]

Totally different concept than my Hermine, and not at all what I was going for in this build.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:58 am
The "Gheenoe" of years ago has evolved into a miniature flats boat for some of the models, that are coming out of dealerships with a 25hp.

Totally different concept than my Hermine, and not at all what I was going for in this build.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, I followed that evolution but the original ones were close to our SC16 and that is what I was comparing to.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yeah, I agree. The SC16 is really close to the original Gheenoe which was only rated for up to 5hp. I just posted that because a lot of people are telling me that the boat could "handle" a huge engine like a "Gheenoe", but they are comparing apples to oranges.

I'd also wager anyone with an original, 16' Gheenoe that I could beat them with my SC16 in a race with the same 2.5 Yamaha. You do a great job of designing hulls that will move with little power.

I love going fast, I really do, but I'll do that in my friends' boats, and go slow, long, and cheaply in mine 8) 8) 8)