Super Light SC16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
J_Irwin
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Super Light SC16

Post by J_Irwin »

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I really like your results on the SC 16 Cape Man. You do really nice work. I would love to hear what you would have done to make a self bailing version of your build. I am considering this boat as a new project and would like to use it for coastal fishing central California.
I am not too concerned with weight, as I can beach launch my zodiac now in most areas fairly easily and it weighs about 300 lbs. I am concerned with taking on water and not being able the shed it quickly when I we get caught in some heavy wind chop. This build would be a warm up for the OD 18 or PG22 if I can find a bigger garage to build in 😀. Thanks!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

First off J-Irwin I'm sorry to be a year late in seeing your post. I didn't make Hermine self-bailing as she won't be used in conditions where that might be needed. I did buy a small hand pump to get any water out but it certainly won't work if she were to swamp. Did you start building?

For an update Hermine went to Cape Sable with us in January, but unfortunately the little Yamaha croaked within sight of Flamingo when the choke rod broke. She ended up riding out and back in her big sister Clara, and was only used on the beach to carry baits out.

Since then I have been absolutely swamped and only got to working on the engine the past two weeks. The rod was not cheap, but an easy fix. However, the motor still would not start so I pulled the carb. YUCK!!! Despite my best efforts over the past two years the goo was still ridiculous. After three attempts to clean it and put it back together she ran briefly but then went into the "I will only run with choke on" mode. Instead of trying to replace the needle valve ($20), the idle jet ($30), and whatever else ended up being the tiny over-priced piece that was really the culprit, I ordered a new carb for $70 Saturday that was delivered yesterday (Easter Sunday). Installed it first thing this morning and we are back in business.

No need to tell most of you, but outboards need to be used and fuel needs to be drained and replaced if not. Hopefully we will be posting some "adventures of Hermine" in the near future.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The boys are on their way for a 3 night camping trip.
20190526_074121.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Hermine on the Chassahowitzka River.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Cape Man!! They will have fun!! Jeff

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

great looking boat. perfect little rig for the chass backwaters. it sure is getting busy on the river this year though, not like it used to be.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The motor clamps were digging into the wood. I had an old snake cage made of starboard and lexan that I took apart, and cut two pieces for in and out. Glued them on with Goop glue, which I can break loose if I ever need to. The motor clamps should keep them on when in use.
20200801_100120.jpg
20200801_100125.jpg
20200801_095713.jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Bad news is I added about 200 grams to her weight!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Cleaned part of the barn last weekend. It's big-2600 square feet. " Put it in the barn." That's been the mantra for too long.

I have been walking around this for 15 plus years...
1960, 2 hp British Seagull 40 minus. I got it from a very dear friend who has since passed, who bought it new, and took it around the world as his tender motor. I used it on the cedar strip canoe with a side mount for several years until it died on me. No spark. Opened it up, scratched my head, and life issues let it sit in a corner of the barn since.

Am pulling it apart and cleaning/polishing everything. The points were fouled but a bit of sanding gave me spark. Found a great guy in San Francisco who has parts, including the lower unit housing that has the skeg which I broke off here in the river.

I am taking it all down to metal. It is aluminum, stainless, and bronze. Instead of repainting it blue, or any other color, I am wanting to clear coat it. Has anyone done this, and if so with what?

Here are the bronze mounts. One cleaned with a wire brush and one with the "patina".
20210204_150728.jpg
20210203_143802.jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

I plan to put it on the back of Hermine for at least one adventure..