PH18 battery location advice

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

PH18 battery location advice

Post by willg »

I am going over where to locate batteries in my Phantom. I don't have a trolling motor yet but will likely have a 24V tm some day. Until then I will probably have a starting and house battery. I could put 3 batteries under the console, but it will be cramped and will take up space I might use for radio, amp, storage, etc. As an alternative I am considering putting them in the wide hatch directly behind the console. Doing this would make battery installation and access much easier. I could also put my 110V AC on-board charger in the same hatch, which would be convenient. The main issue I see otherwise with placement is weight and how that affects trim. I will have trim tabs so under power I don't think weight aftward will be an issue, but trim might be an issue at rest. I will have a 90 etec on a 6" jack plate. The difference in position of the batteries between these locations is approx 42". I don't know what the significance of that is.

I could also put a starting battery in one of the transom hatches, and house batteries in either of the above locations.

Here's a pic. Thanks for any input.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 battery location advice

Post by TomW1 »

Will here is a suggestion of an installation I have seen. The starting motor back by the motor and connected to the charger of the motor as well as the 120. The house in the console with 120 charger and connected to it. The 2 batteries for the trolling motor under the front deck close to the motor and connected to the 120 charger.

I believe they used 12 guage wire. You always want to get the batteries as close to the trolling motor as possible. You will run 6 or 8 guage wire from the batteries to the trolling motor.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Will, your boat looks great! Andy aka Smokymountain is the guy I would trust to answer your question. I'll send him a text, hopefully he is available to answer your question.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Will, in the GF18 I built, which is very similar, we put the trolling motor batteries, 2 - 12V GRP27s under the front deck, along with an onboard charger. Still had plenty of room left over for storage space under the bow. We put a seat in front of the console, with a house and starting battery under the seat, both also GRP27 in there ,and another 2 bank charger. It balances very well. I think you may be light in the bow with your weight arrangement.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. I could put two batteries in the front starboard hatch. I can't use the port hatch because it's shared with the gas tank. I have wondered what two batteries slightly starboard of midline would do, and if there'd be a list. Maybe not given how much flat boat mass there is in the back. Here's a pic of the front hatches. Any opinion about putting two batteries in the starboard hatch right up against the wall?

I have also wondered about the effect of batteries in the hatch behind the console vs in the console. Since I weigh more than 3 gp 24 batteries wouldn't the weight shift be less than with me sitting behind the console vs standing behind or next to the console? I wouldn't think that would change the way she floated much.

I'd like to max out at 3 batteries if possible. I could put the charger in the console and run its wires to batteries in the front and back.

Good idea about contacting Andy. He helped me out with a number of questions early in my build.

Larry, in front of the console would be a great palce for batteries, but I'm planning on a cushioned cooler there.

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

willg wrote: I could put 3 batteries under the console, but it will be cramped and will take up space I might use for radio, amp, storage, etc. As an alternative I am considering putting them in the wide hatch directly behind the console. Doing this would make battery installation and access much easier.]
Will.

I put my batteries under center console and made a shelf above the batteries angled at 45 degrees to install cut-offs, etc and installed my radio into the upper shelf that has all of my wiring. It's tight but works well. I'll take a pic tonight and post.

Also, the hatch directly behind would work too. My thinking was get the weight centered since I have a gas tank in the bow and motor in back. I would try to center them as much as possible and the further away from the motor the better. Also, it depends where your conduit is run for electrical :doh:

Build looks great!! You will love it!! 8)

Andy

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

willg wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it. I could put two batteries in the front starboard hatch. I can't use the port hatch because it's shared with the gas tank. I have wondered what two batteries slightly starboard of midline would do, and if there'd be a list. Maybe not given how much flat boat mass there is in the back. Here's a pic of the front hatches. Any opinion about putting two batteries in the starboard hatch right up against the wall?
Even with the batteries slightly off center you can use your trim tabs to level your boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I have 5 x 12V batteries going into my boat: 1 x start, 1 x house and 3 x trolling motor (36V).

The start and house batteries will be in a similar position to the big compartment behind your console and the 3 x trolling motor batteries will be in the compartment immediately behind the anchor well. Ideally the start battery and the trolling motor batteries should be as close as possible to their reason for being! All batteries are along the mid-line.

How will the boat sit at rest in the water? I don't know, but I suspect that it will be slightly down in the stern. Like you I have trim tabs so I can adjust how the boat sits when under way. I also have two fuel tanks along the mid-line that I can play with in regard to fuel quantities.

If all else fails I will install ballast tanks and get a bigger motor! :lol: