FS 14 chinese okoume

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS 14 chinese okoume

Post by BogdanFerariu »

Hello.

I bought my plans, fs 14, and now I search for plywood. I can't find anything but okume B/BB 3 ply, BFU100, with the interior ply made of poplar for the 1/4 and some 5ply all ply okoume for the 3/8. The 3 ply all ply okoume is available only in 5 mm, instead of 6 in the plans. This is the only plywood available. Wich one shuld I choose?

If I apply 2 layers of fiberglass and resin on the hull, in order to protect the plywood better, it would be too havy or any other disadvantage?

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS 14 chinese okoume

Post by Fred in Wisc »

With plywood that you are not certain of, it is best to test first- look along the edges and cut a couple samples pieces (small) and check that there are no gaps in the inner plies. Then boil the small pieces in a pan of water for an hour or so. If they don't delaminate or break apart, they should be fine.

No need for 2 layers of fiberglass. If you put one layer over it all, no water should ever touch the plywood and it should be fine. 2 layers will be heavy and expensive and not needed.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

No need to check, I know that Chinese plywood and it will rot. We tested it years ago and the poplar core is not rot resistant. Yes, the epoxy-fiberglass will protect it but not perfectly.
Can you find some exterior plywood that is rot resistant?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu »

jacquesmm wrote:No need to check, I know that Chinese plywood and it will rot. We tested it years ago and the poplar core is not rot resistant. Yes, the epoxy-fiberglass will protect it but not perfectly.
Can you find some exterior plywood that is rot resistant?
I can chose the exterior okume, 3 ply, and the core also okume, but is only 5mm.

Or I can chose exterior birch plywood.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

When I say exterior, I mean exterior type plywood not plywood with an exterior layer of Okume.
That is the problem with that Chinese Okume: only the outside (exterior) layer is made from Okume, the other layers are poplar and poplar will rot.

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu »

jacquesmm wrote:When I say exterior, I mean exterior type plywood not plywood with an exterior layer of Okume.
That is the problem with that Chinese Okume: only the outside (exterior) layer is made from Okume, the other layers are poplar and poplar will rot.
They have the okume with poplar, or they have an exterior, not marine, plywood with all the 3 layers, including the core made from okume, no poplar. This is not Chinese, is made in France.

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu »

So, an exterior grade plywood with all the layers made from okoume is ok?

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse »

Surely better but strange that you don't find real marine plywood

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu »

danieloldhouse wrote:Surely better but strange that you don't find real marine plywood
I see you are in Italy. Can you help me with an online store that can ship to Romania?

If no, i have to chose betwen 6mm okume and poplar or 5mm 100% okume, exterior grade, but this is not too thin?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Do a search for Rougier plywood. It is made in Italy and real Okume all the way through.