FS18 speeds with 20hp

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS18 speeds with 20hp

Post by poleposition »

Really extraordinary work--you should be justifiably proud. What type of wood did you use for your rod holders?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work!! Jeff

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Thanks everyone for the compliments, and a very big thanks to Jeff for posting the pics for me. I have a lot more pics in my gallery under, 'Mike's FS18 build' if anyone cares to look at more details, and I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can be of any assistance with someone's build.....the rod holders are African Mahogany, the only wood I purchased for the build. The gunnels are 3 layers of 5/16" Clear fir, the 4th is 3/8" rock Maple, as well as the in walls which are 3/4" x 1.5" left over from some display racks I built 15 years ago for a friends eyeglass store. I'm a hoarder of wood, so I never get rid of a good piece I might use somewhere down the road. All of the cleats, the gunnels as mentioned above, as well as most of the framing came from two 11' 2x12's, clear fir found in the garage of a 60 year old house I did a major remodel of a few years ago. knew I would use them for something, someday. The most straight grained, knot free, light as a feather boards I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The inside gunnel cleats were just 4 lengths, ripped on an angle to fit the hull perfectly, and notched into each bulkhead. Bent like rubber, held mostly in place by the notched bulk heads, almost needing no clamps. The rear hatch frame was milled from a left over 4"x6" Cedar beam from a pergola I built about 5 years ago, and the 2 forward hatches were from left over 4"x4'" Cedar posts. The hatches are 2 layers of 3/8" ply, glassed, with some of the maple making the lip around the hatch. There are some other pieces of re-claimed wood here and there also, and I still have more if I do another build..... I still haven't taken good pictures with everything finished, but one of these days.. Thanks again guys, Mike

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I looked through all your pictures, and all I can say is WOW :!: :!: I'm pretty dang good, but I'm not that good. That is a damn fine piece of boat art right there!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Stop it Larry, you're making me blush. I really appreciate all the feedback, but what I really want is for other potential builders to have another build to look through for ideas etc. That's how I made the decision to start mine, by reading through other peoples builds, and I read a lot of them, and I took notes for months prior to ordering my plans. This was my first build, but I've been a carpenter my entire adult life and have done some wooden boat restoration work, plus working on my own boats over the past 30 years. So I didn't come into this project totally green, plus I own every tool needed for this kind of work, and if I don't have a tool I need, I buy one. Pays for itself on the first job is the way I look at it. I built my strong back on December 5th and was pretty much finished in 3 months, other then small details, and that's while re-modeling houses. I don't sleep much. Thanks again everyone. Mike

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike, take a look at the main website BoatBuilderCentral.com as your boat is our cover boat for next week!!! Jeff

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

and if I don't have a tool I need, I buy one. Pays for itself on the first job is the way I look at it.
Me too :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Jeff, my mom always said I'd be famous one day, or was it infamous? Damn, can't remember, too long ago. Front page, pretty cool, thanks. Mike

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike, really good looking boat, getting a lot of looks!!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

SeaSlug, Jamie put your FS14 LS build photo on the main website today!!! It is really looking good!! Jeff