FS12 sole

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS12 sole

Post by Rogerogrant »

Is it acceptable to cut the mid seat frames down, space them evenly between the A and stern seat frames, and put a sole down to create a small cockpit in the FS12? Bracing the sides with 3 inch frames of course. Appears to be ok on her "big sisters", the 14 and 17, but I just wanted to be sure. If it is cool to do so, is there a change required to the butt blocks, or can they be replaced with double lamination like the long panels on some of the other designs?
Thanks!!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS12 sole

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, you can do that: reduce the height of the frames to 3" and put a sole over it.
I see not reason to change the butt blocks.
Your boat will not be self bailing, she is too small.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

i did it on the fs14 and absolutely love the flat floor.... i also moved the rear frame back a foot.. not sure how that works in the fs12 though

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

jacquesmm wrote:Yes, you can do that: reduce the height of the frames to 3" and put a sole over it.
I see not reason to change the butt blocks.
Your boat will not be self bailing, she is too small.
Reduce the height of the stringers to 3"?
Not being self bailing is fine I reckon, just means I'd need to drain the sole into the bilge and pump it out, ja? The FS14_LS is really my boat of choice but I've determined - after much pondering and mentally rearranging things - that I really only have the build and storage space for 12 feet LOA for the time being. So my plan is to make the FS12 into a really micro flats boat! 8)

Now for how to carry my 11' switch rod on it... :doh:
:lol: :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That boat is really too small to talk about bilges.
Frames and stringers should be minimum 3" high. Foam the "bilges", put a sole on top.

I don't design a sole unless we can put one in there with some benefits. Here, it will not be self bailing, it will raise the center of gravity and make the already low seats even lower.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

How about this: put a sole on top of the stringers between the rear and front frame. Leave the mid frames under the sole. Then, to stiffen the sides, add some vertical frames every 24" made from 1x2's on edge. Build a string rubrail laminated and on the inside, run an sheer clamp over the vertical frames.

I can't design it, I am very busy with something else but that is not too complicated.

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking: framing on the sides and decks/gunwales to complete the "box". Basically as you designed it, just with the omission of the seat and addition of a sole and gunwales.

So, when you say it's too small to speak of bilges, I'll want water to drain somewhere, correct? If the sole will be below the DWL then I need to pump it out. So I'm thinking I'll leave the compartment between the stringers at the stern open (un-foamed) and call it a bilge....
Sound workable?

Thanks Jacques!!!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

No boat that small can self bail, sole or not. It's not physically possible. It doesn't have the volume. All small boats just have a drain plug or 2. If you need to drain water underway, you put the boat on a half plane, pull the plug and the water runs out. Easy.
On the trailer leave the plug out. You will just make it heavier with a sole, it won't self bail.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Ah ha! Copy that. Thanks Cracker L.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

If you need to drain water underway, you put the boat on a half plane, pull the plug and the water runs out. Easy.
I also need to mention to put the plug back in after the water runs out, but before you stop the boat. That's very important :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose