FS14 VS FS17 Vs Outboard Skiff 17 Question!!!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Mnusom12
New Poster
New Poster

FS14 VS FS17 Vs Outboard Skiff 17 Question!!!

Post by Mnusom12 »

Hello! I am at the stage of having to decided between the FS14 and a FS17 boat as well as the outboard skiff 17. This will be my first boat build but I will be having some help from a more experience adult. I would like help in choosing which boat. I need a center consul and would like the 17 foot layout. However, I have never worked with fiberglass and was wondering if that was requirement for the 17 footers (is fiberglass hard to work with?). I would like a all plywood boat with all stitch and glue.I would really appreciate your opinion and help on this. Thank you so much!!!

-Matt

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 VS FS17 Vs Outboard Skiff 17 Question!!!

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome to the Forum Matt. Your not the first to ponder which boat to build and won't be the last. You will be able to build any of the 3 boats you mention. Just ask questions here on the forum and take your time and study what comes next in the building steps.

The deciding factor on which boat you should build will depend on what you want to use it for. And also how many people you will normally take out with you. The relative size of the 3 boats is the FS14 will handle 2 people nicely and is for lakes and rivers and very close inshore work on very calm days. The FS17 will handle 3 to 4 people and is very seaworthy being able to go offshore a ways on good days. The OB17 is a little larger inside over the FS17 and is as capable offshore.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Another thing to consider is cost- both dollars and build time.

Is budget an issue? The costs can be spread out over time, but they should be considered. Same goes for time; a little time spent nearly every day will keep the project going, but it takes most guys a year or more to complete a boat like one of these with center console. The OB17 will need the most materials and the largest engine and use the most fuel, and take longer to build (all layouts being the same).

It would be a good learning experience to build one of the small boats first, like the free canoe plans. You'll end up with something you can use and get a leg up on doing better work on the next boat.
Hank

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

However, I have never worked with fiberglass and was wondering if that was requirement for the 17 footers (is fiberglass hard to work with?).
Yes, it is a requirement for all of them, and no, it's not hard to work with. Just takes a little practice.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

having built a couple of boats rom bateau.. i can only recommend building a small simple one first... like the D4 ... it will teach you more about epoxy, fairing, sanding, filleting etc than any partner... ill bet that the experience will save you more money in a 17 foot boat in materials and time than building the D4 costs....