OD18 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OD18 Build

Post by Bbolton2 »

Yeah, I debated on it, and decided to go for the non spray rail. I am not looking to take it out the inlet, just plan on bumming around the intercoastal and barrier islands. I was also thinking about a side console, but I have not seen anyone build an od18 with the side console.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

About the spray rails..........you will put them on sooner or later :wink:
When I built my dory I had planned on it being tiller steering. She ran nose high enough I switched and went remote. Because I had not planned on remote steering I did not have case tubes installed so I went with a side console. It has worked out just fine for me. The dories are so stable it does not matter if there is a little extra weight on one side or the other.

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Hey Fuzz, didn't you install a side console on your dory? If so, do you mind posting a photo? I am contemplating a side console and would love to see an example. It's been a crazy, but I do have a new 24x25 metal building in the backyard to house the boat and workbenches. I am hoping to get some serious work done this year if not complete it. Pictures coming soon.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

My console is not very fancy more just plain Jane but it has worked out for me. I am in the middle of doing some remodelling so it is a mess right now. Having the console on the side leaves a ton of room to walk fore and aft.

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Okay cool, thanks for the photo. Got some work done. Cleats glued to stringers/frames. The bottom of the boat is completely covered in epoxy. Started mixing foam yesterday, only had a gallon of A and B, so it only covered about a third of the boat. Gotta order some more. My plan right now is to install a side console, and route cables wiring under the gunnel and have a portable fuel tank back by the stern to make everything simple and easy to get to.

I have been working on the boat for a long time now. Some guys finish, but I am seeing more and more not finishing. I am motivated to finish this year, with that being said I am not looking to put a ton of extra time into the details of the vessel. I frankly just don't have the time. I have knee surgery tomorrow which throws a wrench into boat building for 6 weeks. Hopefully after that I can really get cranking on it.

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

COVID boat building...[/attachment]
IMG_0113.jpg
The foam was a pain, glad it's done.
Attachments
IMG_0143.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice foam work!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looks great from here.

I would suggest you think about spray rails again. Even on flat, inside waterways, the water shoots up the sides from about midship to the stern. Just a little side wind and water comes in the back. I used ash and just epoxied them to the sides using temporary bolts to hold it until cured. I ran mine for 8 years without them and survived, but am glad I finally put them on. Would be much easier now than later...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Very nice. Glad to see some good coming out of this virus thing.

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Thanks. Cape Man, I have been pondering it. I was looking at Larry B's you tube video showing the performance of the spray rails. Was the ash hard to bend? Was it a 1x2?