FS14 control cables bending

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14 control cables bending

Post by BogdanFerariu »

I want to build my FS14 with a very small front console and a sole.
The control cables can be bent like in the picture, if I assure the minimum radius thet the producer require, 8” (200 mm)?

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 control cables bending

Post by deuce_454 »

i did the same on my fs14 but had to route the cables along the rail.. i dont think its possible to bend them that much, but if you use a hydraulic steering it would be no problem at all., also remember to run a couple of extra chase tubes under the sole so you can mount the fuel tank and battery in front if you use an engine with 20+ horsepower..

i lowered the stringer height by something like 80-90 mm (jacques said max 3" =76mm) and moved the rear frame back so it sat 1220 mm from the mid seat ... the rear platform/seat doesn't have to be as far forward if you use remote steering

lastly consider getting a 25 or 30 hp engine with trim especially if you mount the battery and fuel tank up front (or install the tank inside the mid seat)

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu »

deuce_454 wrote:i did the same on my fs14 but had to route the cables along the rail.. i dont think its possible to bend them that much, but if you use a hydraulic steering it would be no problem at all., also remember to run a couple of extra chase tubes under the sole so you can mount the fuel tank and battery in front if you use an engine with 20+ horsepower..

i lowered the stringer height by something like 80-90 mm (jacques said max 3" =76mm) and moved the rear frame back so it sat 1220 mm from the mid seat ... the rear platform/seat doesn't have to be as far forward if you use remote steering

lastly consider getting a 25 or 30 hp engine with trim especially if you mount the battery and fuel tank up front (or install the tank inside the mid seat)
I saw you fs14 and your small console inspired me, but I have to run the cables under the sole. I think if I get a longer cable and make the first bent in the console, toward the bow, and then, another loose bend, not necesarly beneath the first, but sideway, and enter under the sole after the oposite stringer. From the console exit, it would be like your bend along the rail.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

possible... if you put the steering box close to the bottom of the boat and mount a steering column in the console .. that will savve you a bunch of bends on the cable...

also running the controll cables into the a chasetube in the mid seat will make it possible to run those cables under the floor

(and you could use hydraulic steering)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Bogdan if you go on line to the Teleflex or the Uflex sites they will give you the minimum bend radius of there cables. When I was looking they both had Xtreme control cables that had a radius in 8-12" range. The real hit is the steering cable it's radius was significantly larger. I would like Deuce look into hydraulic steering.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Mechanical steering won't make the bends in that picture. Throttle and shift cables will. If you went to hydraulic steering it would.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man »

If the console will be on one side instead of the middle, perhaps the bend can be widened by taking the steering cables down through the deck on the other side, using that horizontal distance to ease the curve? Hydraulics is certainly the way to go if not, but will cost a lot more.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BogdanFerariu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BogdanFerariu »

Hydraulic is too expensive.
Maybe if i go straight down, with only one bend, and I will have a chase tube betwen my legs? Or make the console all the way down to the sole. I don't think it wil bother