PG22 or PG25?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Island Hopper
New Poster
New Poster

PG22 or PG25?

Post by Island Hopper »

Okay - I'm ready to pull the trigger and start to build a Panga. I love the lines and the idea of a very simple boat. My favorite boat I've owned was a Boston Whaler Dauntless 15. It was super easy to maintain, sipped fuel and drafted very little. Even through it was brutal in large chop, I took that thing everywhere. If I had to buy a production boat today, it would be the Caribiana 23. It looks simple, like my Whaler, but with the potential to handle rough water better.

I will be island hopping in the Tampa Bay area, exploring the inter coastal and crabbing (for fun not business). Not a lot of open water use. The majority of the time it will be just 2 adults and 1 kid but would like to bring along a few more every once in a while. Easy beaching is a must.

Why the 22:
I love the idea of a 50 to 60hp motor quietly sipping fuel and just going exploring. Very light weight, just seems to be everything I liked about my whaler with a better ride.

Why the 25:
For those times we want to bring more people. Don't want to go with the 22 a just wish it was a little bigger. Just afraid this is getting too big and getting away from the things I loved about the whaler and getting into too much boat.

Which way do I go?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PG22 or PG25?

Post by jacquesmm »

It's up to you but I will add one point: it does not take more labor to build a 25 than 22.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

jacquesmm wrote:It's up to you but I will add one point: it does not take more labor to build a 25 than 22.
Also mostly you can access the same places with a 25 as with a 22

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Pangas are pretty narrow boats. The 25 is only 8" wider than the 22. The 25 is going to feel more roomy without alot of extra weight too.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

By any chance did we talk earlier today regarding engines for the 22/25? Regardless, I say go for the 25!! Happy Holidays, Jeff

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jeff wrote: I say go for the 25!! Happy Holidays, Jeff
I have to agree with Jeff on both 8)

Island Hopper
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Island Hopper »

Doesn't sound like anyone shares my concern the 25 would be too big to beach easily.

I did a quick budget and figured with everything in (hull, trailer, motor, fittings & equipment, etc.) the PG22 with a Yamaha F60 would be about 15K and a 25 with a Yamaha F115 would be about 22K. I keep looking at the 7K difference as significant and I keep telling myself the 22 will work. However, I do recognize that my time is the biggest investment and I would hate to wish I just went for it.

Jeff - This is my first post, so we didn't talk earlier about motors. However, since I'm pushing myself towards the 25, what's your thoughts on a 90 vs 115 for it?

Also, thanks everyone for the input so quickly. It's definitely validating my decision to build a Bateau design and that there is a strong forum here for support through the process.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

I see you have a "kid".................

Keep in mine at some point he/she may want to tube, water ski and wake board so keep that in mind during HP selection and then there is their friends soon you are pulling a two tubes with four teenagers on them........................ my experience

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Island Hopper, Let me discuss the HP/Motor question with Jacques (Designer) and I will get back to you today. Jeff

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I do a lot of what you probably do in the area. Fish and cruise around Tampa Bay, camp on shell key or ft. Desoto, scallop up in Homosassa, play on the beach at pass-a-grille..... I do it all in my 15ft skiff, weather permitting of coarse, with 1-2 other souls on board, but if we are just going to an island to play I'll transport as many as 5. Well it's getting to tight now that my kids are growing so I'll be building an FS17 hopefully soon to take my skiffs place.

The 22ft gives you an extra 5ft over me that I wish I could have, but don't have the room for it. I think it would work great for this area, but we all get 2-foot-itis.... if you plan to do some offshore runs for snapper or grouper then the 25 would be my preference.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.