GT27 Plans and Safety

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

GT27 Plans and Safety

Post by Jeff »

A question came into the Order Desk today and I decided to move it to the Forum so that everyone could see the response from Jacques: "Jacques, I am planning to order the 27ft gt cruiser house boat plans and have 1 question. i live in eastern north carolina and instead of bays i have sounds the lead right to the gulf stream. would i have to make any mod to this boat to make it safe?"

See the study plans description:
This is a river cruiser, ideal for protected waters: rivers, lakes, bays or the ICW.

It is a boat for protected waters, not an offshore boat. She will be safe in canals and rivers, small lakes, in the ICW and in estuaries but no open seas. It's an houseboat, you never see them offshore. In wide open estuaries, you will have to keep an eye in the weather.

If you plan to go offshore, look at the DE25 or more, the TW28.

mike mars
New Poster
New Poster

Re: GT27 Plans and Safety

Post by mike mars »

to jeff and jacque, thanks for your response. even thus the boat designs look great, they dont fit my experiance lvl, or the needs. im not really a fisherman, but more of a weekender hide and napper. ive spend about a year visiting your site and reading all of the study plans on what would be the right choice of me. that is why i asked would i need to do any reinforcements on the 27ft houseboat. i do have tons of rivers, however i may want to venture to the hatteras lighthouse the sit an hour off harkers island. the flat bottom and how the bow open is and awesome those adventures. thank you for time, and yes ill still purchase a boat project from your site...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The GT27 is certainly not a boat to go around Cape Hatteras :D

I tried to pass Cape Hatteras 2 times and each time I took a beating, had to go back and inside. That was in a real offshore boat, a 41' footer in which I crossed the Atlantic.
Cape Hatteras is not a place for houseboats but you have many inshore spots around there. I could see myself on anchor in Beaufort with a GT27 and cruising up and down the ICW or the Dismal Swamp.

What you need is 2 boats: a GT27 to cruise with and in tow, an FS17. I would go fishing around the Cape in an FS17, in good weather.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

mike mars
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mike mars »

which would be better the fs17 or the cs23

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The CS 23 is a far more capable boat than the FS 17 for offshore use with its big bow flare and deep hull. The FS 17 would be better for inshore fishing use and light offshore duty.

mike mars
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mike mars »

i use to work for hatteras yachts so im pretty good at build either of the boats i want. but i now lack the tools need to build them. can the cnc precut pieces be bought in small sections to help me keep the cost down, or is there a paper template with the full plans package?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike, our CNC kits are just that, complete kits. We utilize the time of one of our staff to CNC the kits per order so we don't break-up a kit or create a process that is not efficient for us. Our plans are not full size for purposes of cutting each individual part but they are quite detailed and I am confident you can get solid feedback regarding the plans from any of our Builders here on the Forum. Hope this response helps!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

And all the dimensions for the flat panels are on the plans. No need for templates, no math.
See our tutorials about cutting panels, it is very simple.
Or get the kit.
It is a big outlay but plywood parts are spread all between sheets, partial shipment would not work.
Plus it would cost more in shipping.

You can get financing through Paypal if you want to spread payment over time, it works.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com