DE25 Ownership Log

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: DE25 Ownership Log

Post by topwater »

Get a trailer with a longer tongue . I back in until my rear tires are in the water and can float right off.
I use to launch my bass boat at a lot of unimproved and shallow ramps so i put Glide Sticks on the bunks.
Very slick and you want to make sure you have bow hook on when backing in or pulling out or you will
leave your boat sitting on the pavement :doh: As far as the side and rear curtains I like them , but i
just do day trips so i take them off when in use. I use them mostly to keep the boat dry when sitting on the
lift .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Tom S.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tom S. »

Hey Matt any updates, how is the boat running?
Dose she sit in the water any differently, and are you still thinking about trim tabs ?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Matt Gent wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 am I've probably put in at 12 different ramp locations. The trailer is so short, the bowsprit is nearly over the hitch. Made for an 18-21' boat. I have a new truck and don't want to get salt water on it, so I back until the tires are at water's edge.

I generally have to use a lot of power in reverse to creep it off the trailer. On a fairly steep ramp I can push from the bow, and it takes a big effort to budge it back. And it sits super low on this trailer. In Key West loaded for a Tortugas trip, I didn't think I'd get it off the trailer!
Extend the reach and when you do make surenitnis thicker than the current thickness (metal).
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

Love my star board bunks!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I'll make a longer update with pictures when I get some time. We just got back from the Keys & Bahamas, 7 days on the boat.

-Boat rides happier when loaded down heavy for a trip, with lots of weight forward (cooler, kicker, drink storage, tools, dive gear). Cruise mpg down to ~3.0 @ 18-25mph / 3800-4500rpm, but much more comfortable
-Still want trim tabs
-Now my girlfriend wants A/C and I'm not sure I disagree
-I added forward bunks to replace the bow roller, now it has 3 sets of bunks. At first they were bare PT and the boat wouldn't get off the trailer. Then I put on some plastic bunk pads and now it almost slides off too easy. Also have an entire Kodiak system to install on the trailer which includes an actuator at least a foot longer than the one I have now.
-Lots of little projects have been done: added a removable rear canopy, made a kicker mount bracket https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64080 , modified the v-berth to stow the kicker (suzuki df6 15"), made a hammock stand for the cockpit, rebuilt the forward hatch (no more plexiglass, no more leaks), made an adjustable stop for the fwd hatch, added more USB ports, added a cockpit light, picked up some roof-racks for mounting the paddle boards
-We also spent ~5 days on the boat last Thanksgiving, cruising coastal GA. It was cold & rainy and we had a great trip.
-Mantus anchor is fantastic, relegated the plow to 2nd / transom anchor. Drift sock tied off the anchor rode at the waterline damps the dithering significantly and makes it livable at night.

There are always more projects to do:
-rebuild bowsprit, replace the roller with some kind of flared fairlead
-entire boat needs paint
-finish refurbishing trailer
-trim tabs
-counter-top organizer
-cleats & planks for an extra crew bunk in the main cabin
-temporary ac & generator? not sure on this
-I'm considering blowing out the back wall of the main cabin and replacing with roll-down canvas. Will make a better day boat but not as good camping in inclement weather.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good trip Matt but I am sure it was hot down there!!! Jeff

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I just wanted to say that I really get a lot out of this thread. I really like the factual, no-BS descriptions of the good and the bad. You really don't pull punches and you give good, clear descriptions of everything that happens. I think considering it's not a build thread it's just jammed full of useful info and I appreciate that you keep adding to it.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

before you go with the a/c, if there is any way to windscoop; you ought to try it

I don't live in Georgia, so I don't have more
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Have you tried your kicker yet? If so how does it do?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I just wanted to say that I really get a lot out of this thread. I really like the factual, no-BS descriptions of the good and the bad. You really don't pull punches and you give good, clear descriptions of everything that happens. I think considering it's not a build thread it's just jammed full of useful info and I appreciate that you keep adding to it.
100% agree, very good updates on a well made boat.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne