semi protected water fishing / fun boat PG22 ?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: semi protected water fishing / fun boat PG22 ?

Post by deuce_454 »

Ill Stick to something simple :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct, a scaled FS19 would work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Something to consider with a 10% length and width scale up of the FS 19 would put the beam at 105", or 8' 9", which is over wide for trailering.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

...in which case you would only scale the length...space the stations further apart.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

Browndog wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 pm Something to consider with a 10% length and width scale up of the FS 19 would put the beam at 105", or 8' 9", which is over wide for trailering.
that was actually why i suggested the 150% FS14, the beam is narrower, so at 21 foot long the beam is just shy of 96" or 8.0 feet .. but my idea of building boat with my buddy in a winter is doable with a panga of possibly a FS19 (the panga appears to be faster to build) ... but its not possible if im trying to reinvent the wheel.. let alone paying for 100 hours of jacques time seems a bit excessive for something that is a few feet longer but looks similar to available plans..

(but i will go over my fs14 plans again just for the hell of it :D )
Last edited by deuce_454 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Deuce I loved your FS14 build. Jacques is correct in the amount of hours that it would take to stretch the FS14 to a FS21. I have taken enough courses, see below, to know what it would take. I suggested the FS19 as presently designed without stretching for 4 people. it would do you fine and be a very good boat for you and a fairly fast build probably faster than the PG22 since it is shorter. If you stretch it 10% in length only which is fine it will in all likelihood take as long as the PG22.

Take a hard look at stretching it is not for everyone. A longer boat will be better in swells and a wider boat will also not roll as much.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

As designed, the FS19 are about the same size.
The FS19 is wider, the PG22 is longer.
The waterplane area must be about the same, maybe a little larger for the FS19.
Keep in mind that my Pangas are long boats, not big boats.
I agree with Tom that the FS19 seems to be the best choice for your program.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

looking at a build thread i must say the FS19 appears to a pretty big boat.. i think ill buy a set of plans and go with that ...
thank you all for your input , and to you jacques for your input.. im amazed at how many detailed answers you seem to post daily.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 pm Deuce I loved your FS14 build. Jacques is correct in the amount of hours that it would take to stretch the FS14 to a FS21. I have taken enough courses, see below, to know what it would take. I suggested the FS19 as presently designed without stretching for 4 people. it would do you fine and be a very good boat for you and a fairly fast build probably faster than the PG22 since it is shorter. If you stretch it 10% in length only which is fine it will in all likelihood take as long as the PG22.

Take a hard look at stretching it is not for everyone. A longer boat will be better in swells and a wider boat will also not roll as much.

Tom
i have degree in mechanical engineering (even if i haven't used it for a long time) so stretching in one dimension doesn't seem that daunting, but it will mess up the nesting if i dont buy long plywood sheets (i can get them in 8 and 10 feet.. but expensive) but its a valid point to just build something that works and .. ill get the fs19 plans and take a look at it but as you say its most likely a much better boat for my use than the panga, and roll much less.. lastly we dont really see swells as much as chop so ill probably stick to stock..
and thank you for the compliment :-)