semi protected water fishing / fun boat PG22 ?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

semi protected water fishing / fun boat PG22 ?

Post by deuce_454 »

ok... my JA18 project have stalled partly because im not sure its right for the waters close to my home (Oresund near copenhagen) and partly because im without a building partner :-( .... So I've decided to build one with a friend ..

the boat will be used for salt water fishing in oresund with is a strip of water connecting the baltic sea with kattegat/norht sea.. the waves are rarely taller than 2 feet and it would compare to a bay off the east coast US i suppose. Im trying to find the boat type that will yield the most boat for the least money/effort .. he will use it mostly for fishing with 1-4 friends and id like to perhaps go messing around, picnic, perhaps ski or whatever in the summer... the motor i have as of now is a 75hp 2 stroke so the boat will have to be sailable with that... possible later upgrade to larger/quieter engine

i have a set of plans for an OB17 but im wondering if a PG20/22/25 C19 or OB19 are more suited
i like the modified sheer of the PG25.. and would probably modify the PG20/22 to look the same (especially the time it takes to build a panga compared to an OB or C is appealing to me... im not looking for a boat to go above 35 mph and would like it to come on plane quickly if it is to be usable for a fun/skiboat (i know that a ski nautique is better but im looking for a workable compromise)

is the panga suited for this? . and is standing up in a panga and fishing for hours tolerable ? ... and how does the wake of a panga look?

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: semi protected water fishing / fun boat PG22 ?

Post by topwater »

If it were me i would build a panga . It would be a great all around boat.
Novi 23 finally launched !

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

looking at the study plans for the pangas they look narrow and the sides flare quite a bit, so im perhaps little afraid it will roll a bit much in a side swell, and how roomy is it to stand in compared to the c19 or even ob17 for instance..

and what size panga.. ?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I think the new FS19 would be an excellent choice for what you need. Your 75 should do nicely on it and does most of all the things you are looking to do. As the study plans note it has a smooth transition between displacement and planning speeds. I did a quick calculation and top speed with your 75 at top speed will be mid to high 30's with a 1800lbs displacement probably higher than you will have.

For four you would need the PG22 and it would take as long to build as the FS19 and not be as wide I believe.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, the FS9 looks like a good choice but don't overlook the PG22 because of it's narrow waterline.
It makes the boat economical to run and while she will roll more, she will be very seaworthy, run smooth in a formed sea.
There is always some give and take in boat design.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

it will be a bit of a deja vue. it looks very much like the modified FS14 i built.. and i do love the way that boat handles, ill take it up with my buddy.. i wonder if the panga isn't better in chop though (since jacques is here ill ask) is it possible to get a pnal update on the PG22 to match the sheer-line of the PG25S.. a PG22s option?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The PG will be a little better in chop but the difference is minimal. Each of those boats will run more smoothly than wide production boats.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

last question..
how about a "FS21" i.e. scaling a FS14 to 150% , i would need to pay for some cad time for different stations and probably an extra set of stringers... i would be comfortable working the rest out myself, also some suggestions on plywood thickness and additional fibreglass..
'or am i just overcomplicating things?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is a complete redesign, a different boat.
It takes easily 100 hours to design a boat that size.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

deuce_454 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 am last question..
how about a "FS21" i.e. scaling a FS14 to 150% , i would need to pay for some cad time for different stations and probably an extra set of stringers... i would be comfortable working the rest out myself, also some suggestions on plywood thickness and additional fibreglass..
'or am i just overcomplicating things?
If you scaled an FS19 up the 10% that is acceptable then you have almost exactly an FS21