Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by OrangeQuest »

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Compression?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You need to do some research on models of that age. I have absolutely no experience with the Etecs but from all I have read those that have them like them.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Narfi,

My last flats boat I put a brand new 2007 90 hp etec on it and it was great for the first couple of years ( 100 hours run time ). I actually wanted the 60hp but it did not come out until later that year.

Then the crap began because it sat around and did not get used. At least 3 fuel pumps, 2 of the 3 injectors replaced. Then earlier this year the computer went out ( they call it an EMM - engine management module ). Lift cylinder also stopped working and had to be rebuilt. The EMM is water cooled so if it gets too hot cause you picked up weeds forget it. Motor goes into safe mode when it gets too hot. EMM problem began right after the only overheat I ever can remember having. Evinrude actually had QC issues with these early ETEC EMM's from what I could gather on line but of course they would not warranty one with only 110 hours on it. Last bill at the dealer who fixes etec's was $1872 to fix the lift cylinder and replace the EMM which cost about $1000. Year before the bill was about $950 to replace the injectors and get it running again. It became a money pit which I lost faith in so I sold the boat.

Hope this helps. I think something without all the computer controlled crap would be better up there or at least a very reliable Honda or Tohatsu.

Regards
Tom

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I have no first hand experience with Etec's, but I was recently advised while looking for a 60hp motor to stay away from anything before 2010 if memory serves.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Always easy to spend other people's money, but if you plan on ocean fishing and any longer runs; I'd go with a new, proven brand and model.

The other issue is repairs for you might be harder to manage, but conjecture on my part.

As for the specifics, when I buy a used car, I google the brand and model and the word problem or problems and you can find out lots of the issues. My kid bought a 2005 Nissan and the engine cradle was rotted out. Turns out a well known problem. Had I seen it, the car might have been cheaper versus us eating the repairs, but I didn't do the googling and didn't look at the cradle.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

dont know anything about that year, but I bought a new 2010 60hp Etec and I love it. Only problem I ever had with it was a coil went bad right after I bought it. Didn't strand me, just wouldn't idle right. Replaced under warranty and not a hic up since. But I believe the 2010 is a different motor than the 2007 :doh:
Completed: FL14, OD18

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Wife told me it's not what I wanted and to buy a new motor in the spring. Hard to argue with that.

No ocean going but the lake we live on is big, 60miles long and 5 miles wide. She doesnt want to be broke down somewhere.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Narfi!! Nice supportive wife!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

narfi wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 am Wife told me it's not what I wanted and to buy a new motor in the spring. Hard to argue with that.

No ocean going but the lake we live on is big, 60miles long and 5 miles wide. She doesnt want to be broke down somewhere.
Not saying that lake is big but I got my butt kicked on it in a full size commercial gillneter. Crossing the lake was the only time that whole season I had green water coming over the bow.