C19 - Major Structural Issues - Advice sought

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C19 - Major Structural Issues - Advice sought

Post by justin_dwyer »

Hi TomTom, man that really sucks to read about your boat!!

I know the pain of starting again, it hurts, but I didn't have a beautiful, finished boat like yours. Good luck mate!!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I agree this is a crying shame :cry: And to make matters worse this is not something you did by cutting corners or some such. I am still hoping there might be a way for you to be able to save such a nice boat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

HearnJP wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 pm I’m not a bateau forum regular or build expert but this post is very interesting to me because I’m playing with the idea of building a C19 or C21 for my next boat build. Could the delamination be from laminating over amine blush ? A lot of epoxies produce this as a byproduct and if you don’t wash the hull to remove it the laminates will eventually delaminate ... so I’ve been told.
Don''t worry about building a C19/21, just get your wood, fiberglass and epoxy and other supplies from here. There is a builder JimW in your area that built the first C19 back in 1990's that is still going strong. He put a Yamaha 115 on it and has a top speed of 42mph. Occasionaly he gets together with a builder that built a C21 and they make a run out to the Gulf Stream. The C21 of course rides better with the 2 extra feet of length.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct, the amine is not the problem here. Modern epoxies like MarinEpoxy and System Three do not require sanding or amine removal within a 72 hours window.
If the problem was amine, we would have delamination but not gooey resin. The gooey (uncured) resin is probably the result of an incomplete mix.
It is very difficult to properly mix a very thick resin. One incompletely mixed layer of resin was covered with a well mixed layer. The last layer cured hard but nobody realized there was an uncured layer under it.
Later, with some water intrusion, that big mess fell apart.
If my theory is right, the problem should be localized only where the bad mix was applied.

We can not blame the builder, he did a great job but he works under very difficult circumstances. he can't find the ideal supplies in Namibia.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Hi TomTom, Somerset Timbers do Marine ply and they are in the Western Cape, a short distance from Cape Town.
You could source your Epoxy as well from Aerontec in Cape Town. My GV15 build was done with their product and I have absolutely no complaints only praise for the service I received from them. Somerset Timbers website is www.somtim.co.za.
I hope you manage to sort out everything you need for your next build.
Good luck
Dave

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I figured I better switch this post to the builders section unless I have any technical questions for Jacques ... its looking pretty sorry at the moment - but I am keeping my fingers crossed still that she has a few more trips in her yet...

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62817