OB17-new CNC kit project

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OB17-new CNC kit project

Post by cape_fisherman »

Not sure I've ever noticed spray rails angled up before. Not criticizing...but do you have example of this in use?

Normally a spray rail/chine (spray rail in your case) will be either strait or angled downward. Maybe what I am seeing here is simply something I've not noticed in the past, but is common & has been right under my nose.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks like it worked out good!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape_fisherman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 pm Not sure I've ever noticed spray rails angled up before. Not criticizing...but do you have example of this in use?

Normally a spray rail/chine (spray rail in your case) will be either strait or angled downward. Maybe what I am seeing here is simply something I've not noticed in the past, but is common & has been right under my nose.
My spray rails on my aluminum boat are similar to what he did, but there is no cove. I'm not sure why the cove wouldn't face down here, but I didn't look close enough before to mention it.

The only thing I wondered about is whether the rail is up high enough. It would stink if it caused any weird walk in a slow turn. Hope they are spec'd by designer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What is making the boat white on the transom and up towards the top of the hullsides? Just the lighting? Or did you use fairing compound that much? Kind regards. Anytime anything on my build is white I get nervous.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woodenyouknowit »

I am by no means a spray rail expert, so I looked at pictures and dimensions of the Smart-rail and tried to copy it somewhat, with the cove cupped downward into the waves. I thought about it just following the chine along its length, but then decided to move it up a little higher back towards the transom, where it'll be just at or slightly below the water line. It'll be very interesting to see how it affects boat handling once it's actually in the water. We might either become airborne or submarine :D

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Oh, the white color is the beginning of the fairing work.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Woodenyouknowit wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:29 pm I am by no means a spray rail expert, so I looked at pictures and dimensions of the Smart-rail and tried to copy it somewhat, with the cove cupped downward into the waves. I thought about it just following the chine along its length, but then decided to move it up a little higher back towards the transom, where it'll be just at or slightly below the water line. It'll be very interesting to see how it affects boat handling once it's actually in the water. We might either become airborne or submarine :D
Was there a specific reason to position these rails at a positive angle instead of a reverse angle like we normally see?

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The spray rails I made were modeled after other builders pics,etc. and they do look like positive angle from the image orientation. They form a more reverse angle between midship and bow. I just want them to deflect water away. One thing for sure is they have been very time consuming to build, epoxy, fair, and fiberglass. I used 9 oz fibglass, the 12 oz was too thick to bend around the rail edge and fillets.

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think I'll start a new topic simply called OB17 Project, since this kit project is no longer "new", and this fairing and sanding is wearing me down :( . I've spent about 160 hours on her so far. I'll keep putting pics on the personal albums gallery (Woodenyouknowit).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You don’t have to change regardless it says new!! Up to you though if you want to start a new thread!! Jeff