XF 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: XF 20 Build

Post by Dr. Pete »

Morning Catfish. I am building the same craft. Novice at boat design and the whole sport of fishing. I’m at the stage of taping in bulkheads. Next will be decking and placement of storage, bait, gear lockers. How do you plan to use your layout. I plan a center console on my XF. It’s design time if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts. I also have a 17 gallon Mueller tank to install. Thanks

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

I replied once to the post but i think my phone is messed up i may have hit the wrong button. the boat is intended to be used as a shallow water guide boat here in chassahowitzka. i'm rigging it with a tiller motor and jackplate right now. I also differed from the plans a bit and shortened the front and rear deck to give my clients a bit more room.(not sayiing anyone should do this lol) the gunwales are 8" finished and should be wide enough to walk on while casting for trout and reds. The trolling motor block up front was an afterthought to raise it up a bit and give me a mount plate to bolt too.

I'll have a single battery mounted in the rear for the motor and jackplate and 2 up front for the 24v trolling motor. 12 gal fuel tank sits on top of the tunnel. My livewell is up front to help with some of the weight from the fuel tank and rear battery. no electronics on the boat right now, simple and no wiring.

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Been following your build on YouTube. Gonna be an awesome boat. You ever fish the mouth of the Suwannee? Did that a lot when younger and lived in Florida.

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

I got the jackplate mounted today... waiting to fabricate a washer plate for the inside before i glue and tighten everything down. She'll be on the water in the next few weeks. I also have my inspection planned for this week from FWC...
Never fished the Swanee but have fished every where form wiki wachi to yankeetown... I prefer Chass and Ozello, more rocks to hit and less people! :lol: I spent alot of time on the lower Roanoke and the pamlico and albermarlie sound fishing the creeks and rivers for trout and rockfish. I plan to drag this up there one spring.
Attachments
P1010015.JPG

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

She passed the inspection. FWC guy was super cool, took a a length measurment, glanced at my giant pile of recipets(i saved every one) and printed out my paper. I'll be on the water soon!

Capt. Sean R.
Attachments
P1010018.JPG

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats Sean, Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

FWC is awesome on their boat inspections. Fast and pleasant. Congrats!

By the way...the Chassawhitzka cost me a pretty penny to repair the prop from a trip two weeks ago. Have fished there dozens of times for nearly 30 years with guys that live there and alone. It will bite you! The XF20 is the perfect boat for there, especially with a load of folks.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Great news on passing the inspection! Getting excited to see pictures of the boat on the water!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

Capeman my grandad used to tell me about them rocks moving around out there lol he ran the river for 30 years and still managed to tag one every time he went out :lol: lol. I've only spun one prop on the river that's the extent of my damage, but i tend to take her easy compared to most.

I hit the tag office friday, titled and registered the boat, they really have no idea what the hell they are doing up there. the lady wanted to charge me sales tax on the entire list of materials for the boat. after some minor arguing and a 2nd trip up there I got everything squared away for $45. I went ahead and renewed my charter license while i was up there.

Thanks for stoping in everyone. I'm going to toss the old 2 stroke on the boat for now to test it out.I still dont have the funds to put the 4 stroke in the shop to get a complete service and tiller handle added to it.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yeah, the old timers always told me that those rocks move every night. 8) :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman