LM18 in Perry, GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

LM18 in Perry, GA

Post by Jwhitakeriii »

Hello all I am in middle ga and just starting the LM 18. I got the plans in and am starting to lay out the plywood for cuts (no cnc version). I'm looking at the deck and have a question. On the low sheer version dimensions are given from CL to edge but on the regular sheer the dimensions are written 35 3/8 for the three middle measurements. I realize these dimensions are for nesting purposes only and that final dimensions are taken from assembled Hull but I would think we want to be at least close and have those measurements? Any thoughts? First build btw.
Thanks alot
Attachments
15320500476309101048163870405144.jpg
15320500066718700501227586276687.jpg
Last edited by Jwhitakeriii on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: LM18 in Perry, GA

Post by Jwhitakeriii »

Oh and the wife is not super thrilled about this but needless to say my two best fishing buddies are pumped
Attachments
IMG_20180719_201735.jpg
IMG_20180715_214340.jpg

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Hello from Myrtle Beach and welcome to the forum. Don't have an answer for you but folks will usually chime in quick to help. Good luck with your build.

And, at one point not so long ago my wood was laid out on the dining room table too :lol:

Bogie

furiousgeorge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by furiousgeorge »

Hey Man,
I have a LM18 going up too. Out of an abundance of caution, I bought all the plywood in the BOM but am cutting as I go. I deviated from the nesting plan a bit for the ease of layout but I managed to get the bulkheads, stringers, and hull cut out in the same amount of panels. Pics to follow when I get my two piles completed.

-George-

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

This is Great! Power to the LM18's....

Give it some time Jeff or JM will give you an answer.

The low sheer has less freeboard to flex and bow out. The standard sheer, has a taller freeboard, more plywood (mind of it's own), type of plywood (easy to bend or not).

That's all I got!

I'm going to start later this year on my LM18 "Southern Yankee". Good to have another build to watch. I'm finishing up my FS14 build.

Pickup day of the LM18
0617181447~2.jpg

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

I wouldn't cut the decks until i was ready to fit them. ymmv.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Marshall Moser wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:03 am I wouldn't cut the decks until i was ready to fit them. ymmv.

It's how it's done and it will fit better. Plus these boats look so cool without a deck.. maybe it's just me. 8)

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Jwhitakeriii wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:35 pm Oh and the wife is not super thrilled about this but needless to say my two best fishing buddies are pumped

I would put down a bed sheet before laying anything on the table.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jwhitakeriii wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:31 pm Hello all I am in middle ga and just starting the LM 18. I got the plans in and am starting to lay out the plywood for cuts (no cnc version). I'm looking at the deck and have a question. On the low sheer version dimensions are given from CL to edge but on the regular sheer the dimensions are written 35 3/8 for the three middle measurements. I realize these dimensions are for nesting purposes only and that final dimensions are taken from assembled Hull but I would think we want to be at least close and have those measurements? Any thoughts? First build btw.
Thanks alot
Those dimensions are theoretically correct. If you build the boat exactly as designed and pay attention to the shape during assembly, it will fit BUT please do not cut those pieces in advance. Most builders make little errors here and there, let the side flare out more than what I design and small differences appear at the deck or the sole.
That is why many of my dimensions are marked FV which means Filed Verify: check before cutting the plywood.

PS: do not compare the dimensions between the two versions, it creates confusion.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii »

Thanks for the replies I definitely will not cut until ready and I was not comparing the two plans other than to show that the low sheer version shows dimensions from the CL to the outside edge of the gunnel but the standard version only shows an arbitrary 35 3/8 measurement. I was thinking the three measurements on page 320/8 that say 35 3/8 are incorrect but I might be wrong. I guess either way I can press on since I am not cutting it now anyway. There is a frame close in the nesting that I do have to cut so I was trying to make sure I don't cut into the deck and have to get more wood. Cant wait to start cutting this weekend 8)