C17 in the bayou

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C17 in the bayou

Post by TomW1 »

Salty, yes BS 6566 Meranti is perfectly fine for those uses.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

I had a question forJacquesmm how would I go about getting the capacity tag for the c17 ?
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Salty no need for one for home built boats in the US or LA. Many boats built in LA without one.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 pm Salty no need for one in the US or LA. Many boats built in LA without one.

Tom
I know I dont need one I just would like to have this. by the way thanks for the response tho
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Understood Salty. Jacques can provide the provide the numbers if he has the time. It will be up to you then to get the tag printed. There was a company that would do this 6-8 years ago when another builder absolutely had to have a tag to the proper CG color size and printing sizes.

Good luck, and best wishes.

Tom

Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Knoxville_Jay »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm Thanks, Tom, that is correct.
Unless the builder builds the boat 100% as designed, I can not guarantee the specs. The boat never is 100% as designed. That is why, if there is a capacity tag, it must be made by the builder. I do those calculations for production boats, amateur-built boats do not require it.
Considering that I always include a motorwell bulkhead and in many cases, have a wide and high transom, the USCG capacity calculations often produce an exceedingly high max. HP and number of persons. For example, 20 years ago, the PH18 was in fiberglass production under the name Ghost and I did the calculations. We got about 250 HP and 11 persons which is ridiculous. Common sense tells even a beginner that it would be dangerous but the builder can be found liable if an accident happens as a result of excessive speed or overload. The tag showed 90. There is another point for max. HP that we rarely discuss, the driving test. The USCG rules specify that a boat must be able to run a specific slalom between buoys at max. speed, see section H26/7 of the ABYC rules, title "maneuvering Speed" and "Avoidance test". A PH18 with a 250 HP can't do that but it is possible with a 90 and a skeg. That USCG rule applies to speeds above 30 mph and I like to say that I design those boats for less than 30 mph even if they all go faster.
I guess that the calculations may very well produce 115 or more HP for the C17 but it will not be able to do the avoidance test with more than 90.
It does not mean the boat will break, it means that it not safe.

Production boat builders are faced with a dilemma: announce a high max. HP that is attractive to the buyer or a low one to cover their liability.

Then, there is the fact that production boats are much heavier. 20 years ago, we went to a local boat ramp to test a PH18 made from ply-epoxy with foam components: 575 lbs! We had a 70 on the transom. Next to us, at the ramp was a brand new Maverick prototype with a 125. We had a better holeshot and top speed than the production boat with a lot less HP.

PS: what we call USCG calculations are, in the case of powering, ABYC industry standards, not USCG.

We are working on a new website and I will add text to the study plans to explain that the max. HP is my opinion. I may list two values: max. HP per USCG calcs and "designers opinion".

Excellent info, thanks!

I would also add that speed on the water is not like speed on land (as my dad would always say). At a certain point, going fast is no longer fun... its white-knuckle and nerve-wracking.

60 or 70 mph on the water sounds like it would be fun, but really, it isn't. It'dangerous.

I would say that 45 to 50 mph is the top speed that a recreational boater should aim for, especially since boats don't have breaks and we share the waterways with much slower craft.

Imagine if we had to share the interstate with joggers, roller skaters, skate boarders, walkers, bikers, etc. When you think about it, that's exactly what we do when we are on the water!

Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Knoxville_Jay »

*brakes, not breaks, lol.

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

So I picked up the my wood for the transom clamping boards stringers and panels today will have some new pics comings soon time to break out the saw and epoxy (excellent)in my MR .Burns voice from the Simpsons :lol:
Attachments
20181031_213334.jpg
20181031_213324.jpg
Last edited by Salty F17 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
viewtopic.php?t=65341

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

I Cant seem to figure out why my pics turn sideways when I add them to the forum they are not sideways when I take them o well
viewtopic.php?t=65341

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

If I slightly crop my pictures on my phone before posting then they appear right side up.

Uncropped:
20181005_004327.jpg

Cropped
20181005_011553.jpg