Derek's dream

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Derek's dream

Post by MisterD83 »

Hey, I'm Derek and have been hanging around and reading for a while now, soaking in as much as I can before deciding which style of boat building I was going to use. And reading JM's responses, reading over build forums, looking at the pictures everyone has posted of their builds giving me an idea of the flow of the build.

On to my dream.

I sat down with my wife and we talked about what is necessary on a boat for 8 to 72 hour fishing trips in the Gulf of Mexico, out of Clearwater, FL. Most of the decent spots and reefs I know are with in 15 miles of shore. However I want to reach the middle grounds between 2 and 4 times a year. So my requirement is a sea worthy vessle. My wife needs some climate control so a cabin with good AC is a must as well. Looking through the plans, the CX25 looks the closest to what I see in my head.

I know I will be customizing the boat, like I want a hard top over the pilot seats for shelter and hold a 4ft array. Under the seats I'm likely going to build in live/baitwells. Im going to opt for twin mercury outboards on a bracket with total hp of 3-400. I will install a mini fridge, a 25 gallon freshwater tank a 25 gallon black (waste) water tank.

Now my questions;
  • I know mass produced boats are not as effecient as a fairly well built custom vessle, but I would like to get this boat to the Middle Grounds, roughly 85 miles from Clearwater. Is this vessle capable of reaching that distance with 110 gallons fuel at +/- 350hp?

If it needs more fuel, how difficult would it be to modify the stringers to get the volume needed?

Stock plans, and my math, my truck (7600lbs payload) will be able to tow the boat. With the modifications is the boat still trailerable with my truck? This is more of a double check my math puts total weight with trailer at 7500lbs.
Thanks to everyone in advance! Seeing all your builds come together has my blood pumping for this project,
Derek
Any day that you learn is a day you are alive.

A bad day on the water still beats a good day at work.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Derek's dream

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hi Derek,
Welcome to the forum!
I am very familiar with the type of fishing you want to do with the boat you want to build. I was born in Clearwater and fish mostly offshore.
I think the CX25 would be a nice fishing boat for offshore in the GOM.
The DE25 would also be an option...
Personally, I’d buddy fish with another boat and go with a single outboard.
The designer will have to help you on the fuel consumption question. I wouldn’t go to the Middle Grounds without a healthy fuel reserve.
Your truck will be able to handle the weight.
Figure on 2-6 years to build either boat...
Good luck. :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MisterD83 »

Thanks for warm welcome and confirming the the vessle will be with in capacity of my truck.

When figuring the hardware, I wasn't even thinking of a companion vessle. And I know a few people I work with that fish similar areas that would set out on with me.

Derek

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Never met you but I would be up for a buddy boat trip offshore.
Safety in numbers...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Whoa!

You want to run 170 trip miles with big twins on 110 gallons? A bad idea. The right motors maybe, but you gotta add fishing miles.

Corrections welcome.

I love fishing and I love your dreams. Never plan to operate a boat near the max of her range, though.

For 85 miles offshore, I'd prefer a bit more boat n beam.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

MisterD83, welcome to our Builder's Forum!! As you can already see, you have feedback from our membership!! You will enjoy this group!! Again, welcome, Jeff

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MisterD83 »

Thank you, Jeff. And its good feed back!! Though mostly "get your head out of the dang clouds kid" which I needed as much as I may grumble about it. And I got another fishing buddy.

I actually enjoyed the group before I joined the forum, that was one of the deciding factors for going with the CX25.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Have you considered a single main outboard with a high thrust kicker both for fishing and to get you home in case of a breakdown? Might be slow but you'd save a lot of weight and gas if it's an option you'd feel safe with.

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MisterD83 »

After taking the advice of the board, I'm going to drop the HP to twin 115hp outboards. Joe2700, I appreciate the suggestion of the single main with a kicker, but do not feel comfortable going 10+ miles out with that setup, as I need to make sure my wife doesn't over heat on the excursions (medical reasons).

Now that my head is actually out of the clouds, thank you guys, a 25' by 8'6" boat in the middle gounds would have me chumming more than fishing on anything worse than a perfect day, if I got it out there. With that, I might just have to build a bigger boat later if I feel I did good enough with this build.

Knew I could count on y'all

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

One thing to really think about is will the boat plane on one engine. If not what twins give you is a really big and expensive kicker that is bad on fuel.