Derek's dream

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Derek's dream

Post by Fuzz »

Not sure if you will be doing a lot of trolling or not and at what speed if you do troll. But if you do a lot of trolling, and the kicker will go fast enough, it sure is nice to put hours on a $3000 motor and not a $15,000 one.
I do a lot of my fishing in two different bays where I need to run 30 miles each way. There is no Seatow or such available. It is a buddy or the Coast Guard if you get in a bind. I have no problem using one motor and a kicker. Unlike a lot of folks I run my kicker at the start of every trip. No point in having one if you do not know it will run when needed.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 pm Not sure if you will be doing a lot of trolling or not and at what speed if you do troll. But if you do a lot of trolling, and the kicker will go fast enough, it sure is nice to put hours on a $3000 motor and not a $15,000 one.
I do a lot of my fishing in two different bays where I need to run 30 miles each way. There is no Seatow or such available. It is a buddy or the Coast Guard if you get in a bind. I have no problem using one motor and a kicker. Unlike a lot of folks I run my kicker at the start of every trip. No point in having one if you do not know it will run when needed.
Great stuff here.

Why did the other hull broach so bad? Wjat was unique about the hull?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 pm Why did the other hull broach so bad? Wjat was unique about the hull?
Sorry about hijacking your thread Derek :D

Fallguy at the time I was young and had no idea of how much I did not know. I had no clue how dangerous that damn thing was. It was a semi displacement hull. Bow was deeper than the keel at the stern. Too small of a rudder and not enough power. Boat ran maybe 7 knots. When a following sea caught up with that flat stern and give you a shove the bow would dig in and turn you sideways. The rudder could not over come the bow steer and she would roll over on her side and fall down the wave face. You had to hang on while steering or you would fall into the side windows and break them out. This would happen about every third wave for the 6-8 hour run........................I hated that boat :!:

R00kie
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by R00kie »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm Derek, if this is a "can i build it" boat, then think about something a bit less... ambitions. Say an OD18 or FS17. They have different uses, but will put you though ALL the paces of boat building. The OD (and OB) might be more to your gulf (near shore) fishing plans with overlap for the big boy toy that will come along later.

And don't discount something like (re)building out a hull like the Bertram (there's a few here). That may be a good way to get a bit more boat with a different set of effort and leave you some options for accommodating the smarter half.
X2 on scaling down. You will learn so much from your first boat. Your second boat will be lighter, stronger and safer than if you had built it first.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The CX25 will go faster, the DE25 is more comfortable but will not take that much HP. A 115 is great for a heavy duty DE25 and she will go 25 knots top, 25 mph cruise. With the same fuel, she will have more range.
If you go for the CX25, you can add tanks. Ask Peter from Curacao about the range and fuel consumption, I think he posted pictures.
You don't tow with full tanks: fill just before or after launching.
You could have an AC unit, window or marine, running with dockside power or even with a small Honda 2000.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MisterD83 »

Sorry I haven't been back for a while. I actually stopped getting reply notices in my email, thank you Yahoo. .... Any who...

Its been mentioned that a 115hp outboard likely would not push a CX25 into plane. I know there's more factors that go into it than just weight (Like shape and the quality of fairing)
According to http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm a 115hp engine will push a 5000lbs (over estimating for my customizings) vessel about 17 (guessing MPH).
Using the formula 2.5*(Lwl^.5)=speed in knotts Water line length(Lwl) I figure is 22 - 24 foot. The formula estimates the Planing speed to be 11 knotts -> 14 MPH. Going that route a 115hp outboard will BARELY get the CX25 to plane with my full load.

Thanks everyone for getting me thinking on the few details I was missing.

Jacquesmm, for increasing range (IF I decide to go that route sill), what about increasing stringer height (and thus deck height) to incorporate larger fuel tanks in their designed positions?

Derek
Any day that you learn is a day you are alive.

A bad day on the water still beats a good day at work.

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MisterD83 »

Fuzz,

I prefer to either anchor or drift as I fish. My primary target species is grouper and snapper. Though I wouldn't complain if I caught other kinds of fish.

Derek

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you get the chance get to know Richard aka Aripeka Angler. He knows your area and is both a heck of a good fisherman and good guy too. But then I have to say from the folks I have met on this forum it is amazing how many are just plain good folks.

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MisterD83 »

I definitely want to meet Richard I pass by his back yard a few times a year in the fall / winter seasons (this year being the only exception I hope). Everyone on here are good folk that I've seen and will get to know and meet over the years. I honestly mean the thank yous to everyone for all the ideas and suggestions that I have been given. There are always multiple ways to get the same job done and hearing other's thoughts helps create solutions.