Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

Lol. My wifes holiday decorations that are covered in fiberglass dust.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Like the others have said the boat looks great! You have about a month before the dust had better be off the wife's stuff :help:

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

FD,

Do you have any more info on how you did the rope rub rail? I like the look and think it could look good on my HMD19. Any idea what durability is like?

Phil

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Gorgeous looking build. I fished today on a friend’s 19 foot Yamaha Panga with a 50 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. We fished 7 hours including running 8 miles and trolling lures and pulling live baits and we burnt 3.5 gallons of fuel! Just amazing! I am sure you are gonna get a lot of fun out of yours

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

[quote=Cowbro post_id=480271 time=1603936336 user_id=82488]
FD,

Do you have any more info on how you did the rope rub rail? I like the look and think it could look good on my HMD19. Any idea what durability is like?

Phil

Before I rounded over the rubrail, I used a router with a cove bit to route the cove. It would have been difficult to do once it was rounded. I then of course placed a layer ofcepoxy over the rail including the cove. Primed, painted the rail, and then sanded just the cove before I epoxied the rope in the cove. Make sure you buy a rope that is uv stable and water proof. I used 1.5" unmanilla rope from ropeandcord.com. I thought of using the synthetic hemp rope, but it looked like it freys easily. The unmailla is hard. I figured bumping into things it would last and look better longer. When it wears out, ill just replace it for $100. You can see the cove in the pic. The line you see below the rub rail in the paint job was sanded and buffed out.
Attachments
20201024_113937.jpg

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Cowbro wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:52 pm FD,

Phil

Before I rounded over the rubrail on the top, I used a router with a cove bit to route the cove. It would have been difficult to do once it was rounded. I then of course placed a layer ofcepoxy over the rail including the cove. Primed, painted the rail, and then sanded just the cove before I epoxied the rope in the cove with fast cure total boat cartridges. Make sure you buy a rope that is uv stable and water proof. I used 1.5" unmanilla rope from ropeandcord.com. I thought of using the synthetic hemp rope, but it looked like it freys easily. The unmailla is hard. I figured bumping into things it would last and look better longer. When it wears out, ill just replace it for $100. You can see the cove in the pic. The line you see below the rub rail in the paint job was sanded and buffed out
Attachments
20201024_113937.jpg

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

TomTom wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:15 pm Gorgeous looking build. I fished today on a friend’s 19 foot Yamaha Panga with a 50 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. We fished 7 hours including running 8 miles and trolling lures and pulling live baits and we burnt 3.5 gallons of fuel! Just amazing! I am sure you are gonna get a lot of fun out of yours
Its going to be used alot. I'll have it on a lift so I can put it in the water and go. Ive got a large center console, but I'll use this more.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Cowbro wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:52 pm I like the look and think it could look good on my HMD19.
I think that would look great on your HMD19 - it's a very classic look. I had been thinking about doing the same for my next boat, actually - simple, cheap, durable, timeless.

I think the usual thing guys do is bolt a piece of angle iron (or aluminum, more likely) to a router and just walk it along to get that cove cut FD shows.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:09 pm
Cowbro wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:52 pm I like the look and think it could look good on my HMD19.
I think that would look great on your HMD19 - it's a very classic look. I had been thinking about doing the same for my next boat, actually - simple, cheap, durable, timeless.

I think the usual thing guys do is bolt a piece of angle iron (or aluminum, more likely) to a router and just walk it along to get that cove cut FD shows.
Yeah, machining the cove is no big deal. I am definitely going to keep it in my storage chest of ideas.

FD,
Thanks for the details on the rope. Your Panga is turning out awesome!

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Been working on the console.
Attachments
20201111_082021.jpg
20201117_203224.jpg
20201117_203229.jpg
20201111_082015.jpg
20201013_223039.jpg