Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by FluidDynamic »

I have a question about the scupper assembly. See attachments. What should I use at A? Should I use another through hull through the bulkhead? Should I use a 1.5" PVC pipe labeled C in the photo? If I use a pipe, what should I use at location B on the photo to connect the gemlux adaptor to the pipe? There doesn't seam to be any way to have the thru hull right at the sole level since the transom is angled. I'm a little lost how to connect all of this. I have attached pictures of all of the fittings as well. I was also planning on using a plug when under way so water wont enter the boat.
Attachments
boat.PNG
thru hull.PNG
thru hull.PNG (48.33 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Duck Bill.PNG
Duck Bill.PNG (28.43 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
adaptor.PNG
adaptor.PNG (24.2 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

What you are planning is the same setup I did on the OB15. I used a reinforced flexible pvc hose clamped to the thruhulls. The transom thruhull is at a slight angle because of the transom angle. On the cockpit side I used a plastic thruhull. This setup has worked well for me. With no passengers on the boat, the sole is dry. With passengers the port side lets a bit of water in. While underway the sole is completely dry, except from spray :D .

Ruben
Attachments
527B2D6A-B69A-43BA-82D1-D84D653E0B14.jpeg
5A1FB2BE-8E54-487B-8829-A1A1EC8FEC7B.jpeg

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I have the same gemlux duckbill thru hull and will be doing the same setup as Ruben. Using 1.5" ID fuel fill hose between the inner and outer thru hulls because I have some extra. I just cut the inner thru hull down from a normal one because I wanted stainless steel for looks. This album shows what I did for that inner thru hull.
Imgur Album

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I did an pretty elaborate setup for my cockpit drains. I used pvc in between the to gemlux scuppers. I also installed a helper pump to help clear the cockpit of light water and it overflows out the scuppers if I get swamped. From what I have heard from the pangas you might want to do something similar as I thought I read you could be in two - three inches of water until you get on plane to clear it all out. I think that was in panga Ron’s thread. When my boat is sitting at the dock it drains without the aid of the pump. However with 2 people and a full livewell the scupper is underwater or at water level, so without the aid of a pump it is slow draining.
Couple other points
Fuel line is not very flexible. I used 1.5 inch bilge hose. Why, because connecting to the gemlux on the transom is at an angle that doesn’t allow the pipe to be level.
Don’t forget to take into account the thickness of the transom when drilling the hole. Mine is about 3/8 higher than I wanted it because the angle and thickness of the transom wasn’t accounted for in my measurement.
Also when measuring don’t forget to account for the length of the gemlux plus the hose fitting. I think at the transom it drops about an 1” to get level.
The scuppers do a great job but not perfect you will get some back flow leaking.
Lastly I had raised my sole 1”. That left me a nice channel to hold and direct water into the drains.

Check out my build thread pages 7 and 8.
If I was to do it all again I would have only
Planned for a better scupper drain box. Right now I’m using a Walmart clear plastic food container. I will eventually make a better box.

Let me know if you want more pics

Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Thank you for the responses. I was thinking of doing the same thing with cutting the thru hull for the motorwell bulkhead. I see now a pipe isn't necessary. Now the stressful part of cutting a large hole through the transom.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Got the deck over the tank glued down today.
Attachments
20200528_202413.jpg

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

That seems like a significant milestone!

Nice collection of tools on the deck too! I’m a firm believer that the right tool for the job always makes for the best possible end result.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:56 am That seems like a significant milestone!

Nice collection of tools on the deck too! I’m a firm believer that the right tool for the job always makes for the best possible end result.
Yes, I started with a cheap orbital sander and used it for a month. I realized real quick that wasn't going to cut it. The Festool makes quick work out of sanding. Can also sell it when I'm done.

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:56 am That seems like a significant milestone!

Yes, I started with a cheap orbital sander and used it for a month. I realized real quick that wasn't going to cut it. The Festool makes quick work out of sanding. Can also sell it when I'm done.
Which festool sander is that? Do you use their paper with it?