Port A XF 20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Port A XF 20

Post by MrPaul »

Dr. Pete wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:45 am Mr Paul. The positioning of my frames was driven by two determinates that had no relationship to “the plan”. Rear frame is as far forward as the greatest height of the tunnel. The two frames in the fore area are at 4 and 8 feet just to make joints of plywood deck. Nearly two full sheets crosswise across the boat. In the sole area 1x2 glued to the stringers to support the sole. Placed the console about in the middle. All decisions based on it seemed like the thing to do at the time. So far it rides well with a couple of people up front for ballast. The fuel tank (27 gallon) is under the fore deck. I may find argument for trim tabs but somebody will have to give them to me. Not going to spend that nickle. All I need is transportation to go catch some damn fish. Hope that response is adequate. I know it doesn’t make any sense. That I gave up a long time back
Thanks for the Answers Dr Pete. You ended up with a really nice looking boat. I ordered a fuel tank and was going to put it under the fore deck but the dimensions were not at all as advertised not even close.. Sorry for all the questions. Did you go with the moeller 27 gallon? I got a 29 gallon and the only place it will fit is under the console. I'm thinking about getting another that will fit under the deck. If I do end up with it under the console. I'll have some huge storage space under the fore deck.

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

Mrpaul. The tank I have is Moeller. 27 gallon. It is several years old but never used. It fit very snuggly between the stringers length wise. Glued in a pair of 1x4 to the bottom of the boat. Then mounted Moeller brackets to attach the tank. It is centered and just inside of the most aft foredeck. Just worked out y be he best position. It is not level there. The fuel supply and the other tank accesses are all on the downhill end of the tank. Tank may be 10 inches high or more. Will never fit under he sole. I only have 6 inches between the sole and the bottom of the boat. Let me know if I can help or call me. 512-925/9746.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dr. Pete wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:59 pm Some adjustments in the future. Got a new prop coming tomorrow. Dodged a hurricane and going back to the bay on Thursday. Reread my thread today and found browndog is right on target. Building the hull amounts to comparative 1/3 of the project expense wise. Acquisition of power along with steering and jack plate are things I did not weigh in on the front end. Prop analysis and other tweaking are a whole science of their own. Yes I want to start my next boat. Most fun I’ve had in a long time with my clothes on. Going fishing for a week starting this Thursday. My trailer nearly finished to bring her back home next week. Already been thru the first hurricane. Stout boat
Dr. Pete I am getting in here late but if I can help you with your prop let me know. I will be glad to run your boat through my calculators. You have a nice looking XF20. I was sort of out of things with my pain from a broken hip finally getting back to being here. What HP motor do you have and what is the size of the new prop you are going to put on. I might hold off unlfess someone has calculated the prop you need. Richards prop is a triple cup meant to get him up and out of shallow water fast, it is not a high speed prop for his boat. Down in Texas you may need something different.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Thanks Dr Pete. Any access to help is always sincerely appreciated. I went back through your thread and found your tank instal pics. Fuel fill looks like it fit well under the deck right over the tank and the vent running out the side. If I end up going under the fore deck I'll do it that way. Unfortunately I don't have a good old 90 horse 2 stroke yamaha so I'll probably go with a new 4 stroke and need the extra ballast in the front due to the extra weight. I haven't decided whether I want to go with a 70 hp or a 115 but I'm sure the 115 could use some weight up front.

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

TomW1. Thanks. I read there were some health issues at the house. Hope all is better. Motor is 90 2 stroke Yamaha. With the prop that is on the boat only getting 4400 rpm and top at 27 mph. Speed does not concern me but feels like it just doesn’t get to plane. Appreciate your input. Pic of what I just got yesterday. No body has run any numbers. Only “try this” suggestion. Boat is on a lift at a friends canal development home. 1 mile to the bay and not far to go from there to where I’ll fish and duck hunt Thanks
Attachments
110DDC05-3F4A-4CEA-A286-162304706A60.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dr. Pete is sounds like we need to get you a prop that will get you into shallow water and not worry about speed. This indicates to me a 4 blade prop with a lot of lift. A top speed will still be respectable but not what a 3 blade will give you. But since your only going a mile or so a top speed of 3-4 mph difference should not bother you.

So lets run the numbers and keep that new prop in its box for now. I will need boat weight as built, any extras put on over plan, add 250 for electrical and hydraulics, motor weight is about 260lbs from my look ups, add on another 250 for fishing gear, coolers, ice, etc, gas at 6.8 lbs per gallon, average your trip, water at 9.8 lbs/per/gal. per livewell/baitwell.

As i put the numbers into the calculators I may have some more questions.

On the gas weight. If your tank at full is 27 gal. and you use 1/3 just calc the average weight used.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

TomW1. Muchas Gracias. I’ll tool around as is. I will be back home with the boat on the trailer and run it thru the scale to get a weight. It’s going to be a week from now and get back to you. Thanks, Pete

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

TomW1 got back from the bay. I did put the new prop on. Got rpm up to 5200 and top speed at 27 mph. Ran the boat thru truck stop weigh station. Motor and full load less people shows 2220. Don’t believe that and think I may be closer to 1500. Sounds like prop cavitation sporadically. No “hole shot” at all. Slow to plane but does. Couple of guys up front helps to push it over. Does porpoise if a ripple gives the boat a start at a jump. Better than where I was but feel there’s room to be better. I would like a bit quicker acceleration, no porpoise and no “spin” or cavitation. Thanks for advice and suggestions. Pete

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Dr. Pete wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm Ran the boat thru truck stop weigh station. Motor and full load less people shows 2220. Don’t believe that and think I may be closer to 1500.
Um, tell me to get lost if you want, but declaring the scale results wrong and substituting a guess seems like the wrong thing to do. That's quite a discrepancy; if you believe the scale was wrong then don't use that number, but you want a real number. Could you find another scale, or figure a way to weigh it yourself?
Hank

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

Agreed Let’s go with the big number for sake of prop selection? However the truck scale give a steer, drive and trailer axle. None of them were ever consistent by as much as 600 lbs in the case of the drive axle. ??? Wasted effort and need another scale I guess, Thanks Hank