Port A XF 20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Port A XF 20

Post by Jaysen »

Dr. Pete wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 am However the truck scale give a steer, drive and trailer axle.
The way the jeep guys did this was
1. drive on scale with with empty trailer. get weight. Repeat 2-3 times. average the axle weights
2. Load trailer and repeat #1
3. Subtract the first weights from the second weights. Add all lines. That's the cargo weight.

It seems the scales are a bit less finicky with heavy weights though. The big haulers didn't need to so the multiple weight measures like the little guys did.

Hope that helps.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Our local landfill has a scale that weights truck and trailer all at once. It has been pretty consistent so I believe its numbers. Maybe yours is like that?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 pm Our local landfill has a scale that weights truck and trailer all at once. It has been pretty consistent so I believe its numbers. Maybe yours is like that?
When I was young, there was a weigh station going into town that when open would stop trucks and weigh their axels before entering town to make sure they were not over loaded and damaging the streets.
When not open, there wasn't anything preventing people from driving through, and the scales were visible through the station window. I remember my dad using it to weigh things in the evening.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I think you need to go down at least 1" in pitch and get a cupped 4 blade. The porpoising can be fixed with trim tabs or might be engine height on the transom. Are you running a Jack plate?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

Thanks capeman. That is the next prop in the mail. Be a month before I can run it. Yes on jack plate. Performance trials coming up and yes I’ll take fries with the new prop! Thanks

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Looks great Doc... haven't been on in a while but i finally finished up my scooter and I'm in the same process i bought a 90 2 stroke with a stock 3 blade and it preformed awesome with the exception I had to run the motor so low to keep a grip. I'm very interested in seeing your outcome on props. As is it topped out about 42-46 on short runs.

Tom I would appreciate a bone on your suggestions. Thanks
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0867(2).png
IMG_0867(2).png (754.2 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
IMG_0866.png
IMG_0866.png (769.45 KiB) Viewed 1755 times

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Looks like a precarious position to be in at 42 mph.

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

Did you get the weighing issue resolved- if not Id also suggest any scrap yard... most every agriculture ( fertilizers etc) places as well as frack sand. Concrete ECT all have drive on scales

Dr. Pete
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dr. Pete »

Thanks for the inquiry Reklus. I don’t know of any reasonable opportunities to weigh the rig with boat off and boat on. Earlier I was in transition of a friends trailer and then my own trailer. The finished weight would be of interest but can’t see it being a factor to the fish. Still working through some tranny and prop adjustments. Escaped to Lake Tahoe for a few weeks to dodge 100 degrees in Texas. Project to be continued later in September.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Explorer 19TV wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:32 pm Looks great Doc... haven't been on in a while but i finally finished up my scooter and I'm in the same process i bought a 90 2 stroke with a stock 3 blade and it preformed awesome with the exception I had to run the motor so low to keep a grip. I'm very interested in seeing your outcome on props. As is it topped out about 42-46 on short runs.

Tom I would appreciate a bone on your suggestions. Thanks

IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0867(2).png
IMG_0866.png
Explorer if you are still around let me know and I will be glad to help. I totally missed this the first time.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978