Page 1 of 1

OD Boarding Ladder

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:05 pm
by anflyer
What is everybody using on their OD's to board. I haven't seen any ladders mounted. Right now the plan is the small platform / ladder combo they sell that mounts to the transom.

Any ideas?

anflyer

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:15 pm
by DrBones
I saw something pretty neat. I copied these pics off of the web since I thought about doing this myself. I believe it's from the Skiff America builder (please forgive me! - I certainly hope you don't mind I post this here if you read this!)

Pretty nifty idea and appears to work! - Again: This is to be credited to the builder of the Skiff America (who's web page I can't find right now)

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:43 pm
by anflyer
Thanks DrBones, that idea does seem pretty nifty.

haven't see any new pics lately on your web site, ( :lol: get to work I need some more ideas :lol: ) how far have you progressed.

anflyer

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:15 am
by anflyer
JimW :help: , you posted this a while back on another thread. Do you by any chance have a picture of this (mini platform)??

I know exactly what you mean and what you need. I put a small step on my D15, Jacques saw it last year. The bottom panel on one side is extended about 4 inches and the step is about six inches wide. Any bigger and "roll" trim will be impacted. For a large step/platform, I have built it for boats before. I build a "one side of transom" platform hinged off the transom with hinges with removable stainless pins. Supported with a cable or plastic tubing shrowded chain. The platform can be "spring loaded" to the up position with the right length bungy cord. When mine is done I´ll post pics but it will be a month or more. I have dived on dozens of boats using these "mini" or half platforms. They are GREAT!

anflyer

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:35 am
by DrBones
Yeah..lets get some info on this here!

I agree, I do need to spend some time on my web site and update it. I'm pretty much done with the boat and have it sitting on its trailer now waiting for a working engine... I'll post an update on another thread to keep this one on track about homebuilt stern steps/ladders! :P

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:14 am
by JimW
I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine. Mine does not have the lower step. I like his design with the extra step being supported so it doesn't swing under when used. That is a problem for some getting in my boat from deep water, (divers and skiers). I thnik I could modify mine to have that type lower step! Thanks for the idea.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:04 am
by jacquesmm
Any swim platform or ladder will fit. Our boats are not different from any others and swim platforms sell for less than $ 100.00 at WEST Marine.
It is not worth making your own unless you enjoy the process.
Check the Garelick platforms, if I remember well they start at around $ 60.00.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:27 am
by anflyer
JimW, thanks we'll be waiting for the photo :D

Jacques, all of the platforms seem to be 18" wide which seems to be too wide, that's why I would love to see what others have done with their OD's.

anflyer

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:29 am
by anflyer
EvilD, how have you been climbing back onto your bateau after a refreshing dip in the big blue?? :P

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:11 am
by jasonmcintosh
I bought a nice metal ladder from Outdoor World for $50. It folds down. They had a two step and three step version. I bought the two step since my transom is rather short and I don't plan on using it too much.

I looked at the ladders on their website, but didn't see this particular one shown. However, they did have them at the store. I REALLY like the ladder. Well made, and is very secure being screwed into the transom with eight screws.

Unfortunately there's no platform to speak of, just steps.

jason

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:29 am
by anflyer
jason, any pictures :)

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:13 pm
by anflyer
Jason, I just saw it on their website and it looks very nice. It looks as though it should fit just fine on the transom.

Can you please check to see how many inches wide the ladder is.

thanks alot,
anflyer

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:40 pm
by jasonmcintosh
I thought I had a picture of it, but apparently the picture is only in my head.

If you give me a url for the ladder, I'll tell you if it's the one I have or not. Couldn't find the darn thing on their site myself.

So:

outside distance for the four mounting brackets
11.5" wide
8.5" high

when folded, the section with the two steps is the longest part of the ladder. this section is 15" long.

when fully extended, its 26" from the top bracket to the bottom step.

step is 7.5" wide (this is the inner distance between the rods that the steps are mounted to, that is the usable width of the steps).

The two step ladder isn't the best for getting into the boat when you're in deep water. A third step would have been better.

However, the two step ladder works great for climbing into the boat when I push it out from shore. I can fold it down and go out up to my knees w/o the ladder hitting the ground. If I had a 3 step ladder, I think it would have bottomed out when I stepped into the boat. Since I push off from shore far more often than I climb in from swimming, the two step ladder is definately better for me.

However, keep in mind that my transom is probably only 20" high, so you may do just fine with the 3 step ladder.

So far it's been a great ladder. Looks good, feels solid, etc.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:12 pm
by MADwand
Was it this one?
http://www.madwand.org/Boat/name.htm

I got that one at boatersworld for about $50 as a replacement of the same model that was already on the boat. It had lasted about 10 years, but was corroded and about to break down. This is a great ladder. It's the only model I could find in aluminum built like that.

Aluminum don't scare me. :wink:

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:19 am
by jasonmcintosh
Yup, I think that's the ladder I have. I really like it.

jason

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:44 am
by anflyer
Thanks guys, that should work just fine. Just ordered the 3-step from outdoorworld for $59.99.

This forum is a wealth of information and a way to save money :) . I was already to pull the trigger in a very similar ladder that was priced at $120. :doh:

:lol: You guys just saved me $60 :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:20 am
by jasonmcintosh
Well, it did say "Made in China" on it...

We've just got to keep in mind that this is Jacques et al's business. This is their source of income, and we don't want to drive away any customers by cluttering up the "isles" of his store.

jason

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:33 am
by anflyer
Jason, I agree. So far with my build if Jacques offers it in his store I have bought it from him (ply, epoxy, fiberglass, fillers, etc...). Didn't see any ladders so I had to look elsewhere.

Anyhow, now i have $60 more I can spend at BoatBuildersCentral.com. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:15 pm
by Evildwarf
anflyer wrote:EvilD, how have you been climbing back onto your bateau after a refreshing dip in the big blue?? :P
Sorry not back with you until now.But I use the motor fin.I'll show you

Image Evild

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:21 pm
by tech_support
We don’t have any ladders listed, but we can get items like that next day. We can get nearly anything you can imagine for a boat through several distributors. It would be impossible for us to list everything on the site though.

Next time you need something like that, check with me and I can at least get you a price. We do not want to compete with the big marine stores for odds and ends, but if its something you need and others might want it let me know and I will put it up on the site (assuming we can offer it at a competitive rate). I am always looking for useful products to offer, and ways to save everyone money when possible.

Joel